Thread: The Cheech & Chong Thread

The Cheech & Chong Thread

From Fox's Press Release:

IT’S HIGH TIME FOR… Cheech & Chong’s Animated Movie

Name:  img3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  68.0 KB

Comedy Legends Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong’s Grammy® Award Winning Albums Come to Life on Blu-ray and DVD April 23

Limited Theatrical Engagement Rolling Out in Celebration of 420

LOS ANGELES, CA (March 8, 2013) – Everyone’s favorite stoner duo are back - and animated - in CHEECH & CHONG’S ANIMATED MOVIE, rolling its way into Blu-ray and DVD April 23 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Directed by Branden and Eric D. Chambers, this high-larious feature-length adventure is the perfect film to watch at home with your best buds!

CHEECH & CHONG’S ANIMATED MOVIE showcases the legendary toker jokers like you've never seen them before – in animation. Catch the buzz as their most outrageous routines and laugh-out-loud lines from their ground breaking Grammy Award-winning albums come to life, including the original Ode recordings of "Dave's not here,” “Let's make a dope deal" and more. With help from a bud-lovin' body crab named Buster, Cheech & Chong “the masters of the smokin’ word” deliver the ultimate comedy high and give you the munchies for more.

In celebration of 420, CHEECH & CHONG’S ANIMATED MOVIE will be featured on the big screen in a limited theatrical engagement. Details and theater listings will be announced in the coming weeks.

The CHEECH & CHONG’S ANIMATED MOVIE Blu-ray and DVD is loaded with bonus material including joint commentary from Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong, as well as commentary by the directors and producer Lou Adler, taking fans inside the minds of the duo that’s been making audiences laugh for generations.

CHEECH & CHONG’S ANIMATED MOVIE Blu-ray Special Features:
    ● Joint Commentary featuring Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong
    ● Commentary featuring Branden Chambers, Eric D. Chambers and Lou Adler
    ● Commentary featuring Tommy Chong and Paris Chong
    ● Low Maintenance Listening Mode
    ● "Medical Marijuana Blues" Blind Mellon's recording session
    ● Cheech and Chong Gallery

The animation for CHEECH & CHONG’S ANIMATED MOVIE was produced entirely at Los Angeles based Chambers Bros. Animation. The film was produced by Lou Adler, Branden Chambers, Eric D. Chambers and Houston Curtis.

ABOUT TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT
    Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film, a News Corporation company. Representing over 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions as well as all third party distribution partners on DVD, Blu-ray™, Digital Copy, Digital HD™, and VOD (video-on-demand). Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Learn more about Fox Digital HD at www.Foxdigitalhd.com
    Follow Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment on Twitter @FoxHomeEnt

Cheech & Chong’s Animated Movie Blu-ray/ DVD
    Street Date: April 23, 2013
    Prebook Date: March 13, 2013
    Screen Format: Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD MA
    Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
    French 5.1 Dolby Digital
    Subtitles: English/Spanish/French
    U.S Rating: R
    Total Run Time: 120 minutes
    Closed Captioned: Yes
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Cheech and Chong’s Up in Smoke / Still Smokin appear to be coming to Blu-ray in April.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bd-dvd-...?skuId=6195027

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bd-dvd-...?skuId=6195029
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Details on Up In Smoke:

40th Anniversary Edition Lights Up April 10, 2018 on Blu-ray™ Combo Pack with Brand New Short-Form Documentary “How Pedro Met the Man: Up In Smoke at 40” and More

Deluxe Collector’s Edition Pairs Blu-ray with Original Soundtrack on CD and VINYL LP,

Along with Newly Recorded “2018 Version” of “Up In Smoke”

In 1978, Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong made their feature film debut in UP IN SMOKE, the outrageously funny classic inspired by their now legendary comedy routines of the early ‘70s. Following massive success with over 10 million comedy albums sold, four Grammy nominations and a win for Best Comedy Recording for “Los Cochinos,” Cheech and Chong took Hollywood by storm when UP IN SMOKE became a smash hit, establishing the pair as the reigning comedy duo of a new generation. Today, the film still has viewers rolling in the aisles and maintains surprising cultural relevance four decades after its original release.

“The greatest thrill is making your first movie and this one has been seen and been influential all over the world for over forty years,” said Richard “Cheech” Marin. “Up in Smoke started stoner movies and is still going strong so smoke it up one more time.”

“Where did the time go? 40 years ago we made low budget movies that grossed over 100 million and are still being watched all over the world! And it also helped legalize an important medicine,” said Thomas Chong. “I am so proud that a movie bearing a title of a simple song I wrote would be so influential for so many years.”

In UP IN SMOKE Cheech and Chong play wannabe musicians and stoners who unwittingly smuggle a van made of marijuana from Mexico to L.A. Their drug-laced humor keeps their spirits high as they unknowingly elude the police and meander their way to an outrageous finale at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood where Cheech performs in a pink tutu and Chong plays drums in a red body suit with a Quaalude logo.

The UP IN SMOKE Blu-ray Combo Pack features a brand new short-form documentary entitled “How Pedro Met the Man: Up In Smoke at 40,” which chronicles the duo’s comedy history, as well as the origins and impact of the film itself. Capturing a complex and fascinating pop culture odyssey, the documentary incorporates new interviews with Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong and producer/director Lou Adler along with archival footage. The Combo Pack is also loaded with previously released bonus material including deleted scenes, commentary, a music video and more.

The UP IN SMOKE Deluxe Collector’s Edition is presented in a 12×12 package, limited to 5,000 copies. The set pairs the Blu-ray with the original soundtrack on CD and VINYL LP, as well as a 7-inch picture disc, oversized “Up In Smoke” rolling papers, a film poster, and booklet with new essays by both Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong, along with rare and unseen photos. In addition to the new version of “Up In Smoke,” the CD also features another previously unreleased version of the song from 1978 with an additional Spanish verse by Cheech.

UP IN SMOKE 40th Anniversary Blu-ray Combo Pack

The UP IN SMOKE Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital, Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The DVD in the Combo Pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, and Spanish subtitles. The Combo Pack includes access to a Digital copy of the film as well as the following:

Blu-ray

Feature film in high definition
    Commentary by Cheech Marin and director Lou Adler
    How Pedro Met the Man: Up In Smoke at 40—NEW!
    Roach Clips with Optional Commentary (deleted scenes)
    Lighting It Up: A Look Back at Up In Smoke
    “Earache My Eye” featuring Alice Bowie: Animated Music Video
    Cheech & Chong’s “The Man Song”
    Vintage Radio Spots
    Theatrical Trailer

DVD

Feature film in standard definition
    Vintage Radio Spots
    Theatrical Trailer
    UP IN SMOKE 40th Anniversary Deluxe Collector’s Edition (Blu-Ray/CD/VINYL LP)

The UP IN SMOKE Deluxe Collector’s Edition comes housed in a 12×12 six-panel gatefold package and is limited to 5,000 copies. The set features the Blu-ray detailed above as well as the following:

CD

Original soundtrack album featuring classic Cheech & Chong songs like “Up In Smoke” and “Earache My Eye,” other music from the film, and audio clips from the film
    Previously unreleased version of the song “Up In Smoke” with an additional Spanish verse by Cheech
    “2018 version” of “Up In Smoke”

VINYL LP

Original soundtrack album on vinyl. Back in print for the first time since its initial release in 1978
    Picture Disc

7-inch picture disc of “Earache My Eye” b/w “Lost Due To Incompetence (Theme From A Big Green Van)” with an image of Cheech from the film on the A-side and the classic “YESCA” license plate image on the B-side

Extras

Oversized “Up In Smoke” usable rolling papers
    11×17 film poster with original, tagline “Don’t Go Straight To See This Movie”
    Booklet with new essays by both Cheech Marin & Tommy Chong along with rare and unseen photos
    UP IN SMOKE 40th Anniversary DVD

The UP IN SMOKE single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, and Spanish subtitles. The DVD includes the following:

Feature film in standard definition
    Vintage Radio Spots
    Theatrical Trailer

Name:  Up-In-Smoke-Blu-ray.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  45.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I consider Up in Smoke by far their best movie so I'm all in for this one. Interesting that they would rerelease it with Still Smokin which I found rather lame. Hopefully, all their movies get the special edition treatment.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
    I consider Up in Smoke by far their best movie so I'm all in for this one. Interesting that they would rerelease it with Still Smokin which I found rather lame. Hopefully, all their movies get the special edition treatment.
    I think those are the two films that Paramount owns.

So I just learned that UP IN SMOKE was shot 2.35:1. WTF?! I obviously haven't seen it since the VHS days because I've never seen it in widescreen and I would've never guessed it was originally scope. According to the review I read, it's apparently very well-shot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    So I just learned that UP IN SMOKE was shot 2.35:1. WTF?! I obviously haven't seen it since the VHS days because I've never seen it in widescreen and I would've never guessed it was originally scope. According to the review I read, it's apparently very well-shot, too.
    Back when I first got my laserdiscs player, I rented the letterboxed LD of Up in Smoke, and I was floored by how much of the humour in a lot of scenes is completely lost in pan and scan. One really memorable highlight is the scene where they get pulled over and Chong makes Chechen eat the whole stash. In the pan and scan version, all you see is the cop and Chong, but in widescreen you also get to see Cheech freaking out as everything hits his system. It was a real eye-opener as to the value of seeing ALL movies in their intended aspect ratio.