Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Naschy Worship - The Paul Naschy Thread

I bought INQUISICION (1976) from Mirek. He said it was the last Spanish DVD he had left. Superior transfer of a fine Gothic horror film. I'll start looking for the Vellavision editions of VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY and FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR.

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

You can still get the Vellavison discs in 2 four packs for dirt cheap from a Spanish ebay seller.
    http://www.ebay.es/itm/PAUL-NASCHY-V...#ht_871wt_1397
    Other sellers are asking 4 times the price...these are a steal ( but not English friendly ). Both sets shipped to the US will cost under $32, which is an amazing deal for 8 films.

The R1 of FRANKENSTEIN BLOODY TERROR has most of the extra Spanish footage in the the extras folder. The violence got reduced for the English dubbed version

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I didn't much think I'd like HUMAN BEASTS but was very pleasantly surprised by this unusual Naschy film.
    Me too. I like it a lot, there's nothing else quite like it.

As much as I love Naschy I still have to see a bunch of his films. VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY, ASSIGNMENT TERROR, CRIMSON, A DRAGONFLY FOR EACH CORPSE, THE INQUISITION, A WEREWOLF IN THE AMAZON. But I always like leaving a few movies on my plate so I have something left to discover down the road.

I've just been sorting through the house and discovered I've got 'spares' of the BCI WEREWOLF SHADOW and CURSE OF THE DEVIL that I bought as a birthday gift for my mother (she's a big Naschy fan) before I realised she had the old Anchor Bay releases. I think I've also still got duplicates of NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF and VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES (I bought both on DVD, then upgraded to the BD combo pack). If you're having trouble getting hold of these, Lalala, let me know and I'm sure we can set up some sort of a trade.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Which ever site I visit, whether a review, or blog or just Naschy ramblings I come across a consistent bigging up of "Horror rises from the tomb". What makes this one a particular favourite I ask thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    Which ever site I visit, whether a review, or blog or just Naschy ramblings I come across a consistent bigging up of "Horror rises from the tomb". What makes this one a particular favourite I ask thou.
    It's got a lovely Gothic atmosphere that's as thick as a pea-souper, plus I think it's really nicely-shot.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I've just been sorting through the house and discovered I've got 'spares' of the BCI WEREWOLF SHADOW and CURSE OF THE DEVIL that I bought as a birthday gift for my mother (she's a big Naschy fan) before I realised she had the old Anchor Bay releases. I think I've also still got duplicates of NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF and VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES (I bought both on DVD, then upgraded to the BD combo pack). If you're having trouble getting hold of these, Lalala, let me know and I'm sure we can set up some sort of a trade.
    That's a nice gesture Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bernhard View Post
    You can still get the Vellavison discs in 2 four packs for dirt cheap from a Spanish ebay seller.
    Other sellers are asking 4 times the price...these are a steal ( but not English friendly ). Both sets shipped to the US will cost under $32, which is an amazing deal for 8 films.
    How can I resist that. Damn you, John. I'm supposed to be on a spending diet until after the World 3-D Expo in September. Wish me luck on the Naschy auctions.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

We all seem to be always on the same threads. Do we all like the same type of film then? It would seem so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    It has all the things that make Naschy movies great. Hot chicks, gory set pieces (often both at the same time) Naschy in a dual role and and general sense of anything and everything to please the audience kitchen sink mentality.

For me personally it's the character of Alaric de Marnac, a warlock played by Naschy who pops up in a couple of his films. Quite a few of his films open in Medieval times showing a witch and/or warlock being executed for for ghastly crimes like vampirsm or cannibalism (a la BLACK SUNDAY), only for them to place a curse of vengeance "I shall return." Then they do and it's great. There's no real continuity in his films but it helps me imagine there is.