Thread: The Comedy

The Comedy

Has anyone seen this yet? I figured with Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim in it that it would be typical Awesome Show style lunacy but it's not. It's got some of their bizarre and crass humor in it for sure but it's actually a fairly serious character study about a Williamsburg hipster type whose father is dying and who is coming to terms with his life. It's funny in spots, kind of horrifying in others and while it's not really heavy on plot it's fairly interesting. Heidecker is actually really impressive in it. I'm still sort of gathering my thoughts on it but it's an interesting movie for sure.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Has anyone seen this yet? I figured with Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim in it that it would be typical Awesome Show style lunacy but it's not.
    A lot of people fell for that. I really liked it as a dark character study. Tim and Eric are good actors too.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Yeah, I was impressed. Eric wasn't given as much to do in his supporting role but he was effective when they used him well. Tim though, what a really bizarre but memorable performance. That scene in the boat with the co-worker towards the end of the film, not wanting to spoil it but when it happens and he just watches, it's nuts. Completely freaked me out.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

We just watched The Comedy. I really liked it, actually! Very believable. "The Comedy" is an interesting title, too, considering the description of the movie, which is something like "an aging hipster engages in mindlessly cruel activities with his equally numb friends." Idle hands are the devil's playthings, right? Anyway, we read the description after we watched it, so it really struck me as really well done because I was thinking that it conveyed perfectly the sense of pointlessness life would have without any obligations whatsoever and I could see how that would lead to assholish behavior.

Yeah, it's an interesting movie and definitely the right sort of role for Heidecker. I thought he was great in it. Will be interesting to see if he takes on more 'serious' roles in the future.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!