Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gritty Realistic 70s Action/Dramas...

BARE KNUCKLES has been on my most-wanted list for awhile. I'm tempted to buy the DVD-r from Just for the Hell of It.

So I watched NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER on youtube and it's even better than I expected. It's a very well-made thriller that has a phenomenal 10 minute chase sequence near the beginning and many more memorable set-pieces, including a great scene that takes place in a peep show booth. The youtube upload is perfectly watchable, too, except for the climax, which takes place in almost complete darkness. It's a mystery why this great film hasn't been released on disc. It's fucking awesome.

Yeah, that film is great. The dark scenes near the end are very problematic; nearly impossible to see on VHS, especially the Media tape.

Yeah NIGHT is yet another 70s gem.

Good to see others mention PRIME CUT. I would also include CHARLIE VARRICK by Don Siegel and WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN, perhaps the great CUTTER'S WAY but that is more thriller than action.

Loved the druggy 70s vibe of DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE but there is definitely no action in it that I can recall.
    Last edited by Randy G; 08-23-2016 at 06:14 AM.

I haven't seen CHARLEY, but another good one by Siegel is MADIGAN, with an aging Richard Widmark playing a total badass detective searching for a psycho who gives him the slip in the opening scene.

Somebody else mentioned THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN, which is a pretty good police procedural with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern playing the investigators. The plot gets a bit confusing at times, but Dern gives the performance of his career.

I don't think we ended up watching any of this!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I just saw the Laughing Policeman recently. It started out great, but slowly heads downhill with too many subplots that go nowhere and a pretty unsatisfying ending. Still a solid film, but nowhere near as good as Charley Varrick or The Taking of Pelham 123.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    BARE KNUCKLES has been on my most-wanted list for awhile. I'm tempted to buy the DVD-r from Just for the Hell of It.
    Picked up a VHS with a generic cover from Amazon not too long ago. Still haven't watched the damn thing, but fuck, do I LOVE the soundtrack....composed by Vic Caesar of Massacre Mafia Style, no less!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    Yeah NIGHT is yet another 70s gem.

Good to see others mention PRIME CUT. I would also include CHARLIE VARRICK by Don Siegel and WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN, perhaps the great CUTTER'S WAY but that is more thriller than action.

Loved the druggy 70s vibe of DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE but there is definitely no action in it that I can recall.
    100 percent agreed on NIGHT. Never heard of Prime Cut, will have to check it out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
    Never heard of Prime Cut, will have to check it out!!
    Whoah! Remedy that asap

Back when I was in my twenties, I remember having a conversation with a young woman who revealed that her favourite film was PRIME CUT. In retrospect, I should have proposed marriage there and then: women like that aren't ten a penny
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard