Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

Koch is releasing The Deadly Box Of Shaolin on 2/13/2020.

https://www.pretz-media.at/de/blu-ra...ection-blu-ray

Name:  Die-tdliche-Box-des-Shaolin-bd.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  57.0 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Legend of the Bat

I finally caught up with the Legend of the Bat yesterday, and it’s immense fun. Apparently there are auctions for rare and illegal items on Bat Island, the pre-modern Chinese analog of the Dark Web. The plot is confusing because there are dozens of characters, many adventures and lots of fighting. My impression was that the point of going to the island was to buy Indian poppy to cure someone, but that whole business quickly fell by the wayside. The sets are beautiful and atmospheric. There’s a surprising touch of nudity when four naked female assassins are dredged up from the sea in a carp net, although that episode did not seem to advance the plot at all.

In the final showdown a group of heroes gang up on a single villain. In an American movie the hero would be outnumbered. In this case the villain is blind, which just seemed to compound the unfairness of it all. The evil blind man naturally darkens the room to use his acute blind-person hearing as an advantage against the crew of good guys attacking him. At one point, a good guy sticks some kind of light he happened to have in his pocket in the blind villain’s hair, so they can see him clearly although he is unaware of it, which makes him seem ridiculous and actually comes off as a little cruel. It’s like Zatoichi or Tony Anthony’s Blindman reversed. Another film with a climax similar in that respect is Dragon Gate Inn, where a bunch of young and healthy fighters gang up on an ancient eunuch with asthma.

The second and final collab between Hammer and Shaw Brothers, SHATTER aka THEY CALL HIM MR. SHATTER is getting a Region A blu ray release from Shout in April. This was only tolerable due to Ti Lung and if you blink, you'll miss future Shaw B-stars Fung Hak On and Tino Wong as Ti Lung's students.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Zinemaxploitation from Spain is returning from their hiatus and teased their next custom blu ray release...fingers crossed for KUNG FU VS YOGA!

Check their blog for future updates and purchasing info. They take paypal and worldwide shipping is included in the price.

Is there no Blu-ray release of King Boxer/Five Fingers Of Death (aside from the non-English friendly Japanese release)?

Been looking online and coming up empty. Seems like a big enough title that it should be out there on Blu-ray somewhere...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Is there no Blu-ray release of King Boxer/Five Fingers Of Death (aside from the non-English friendly Japanese release)?

Been looking online and coming up empty. Seems like a big enough title that it should be out there on Blu-ray somewhere...
    I have a custom BD-R somewhere that used the Japanese Blu Ray. It's one of Weinstein's titles, so that should explain why there isn't a domestic release

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    I have a custom BD-R somewhere that used the Japanese Blu Ray.
    Sadly, it looks like that's the route to go. Thanks for the input.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Next in the Asia line is Hell's Windstaff.

Name:  824817108_hellswinds.jpg.2861a67e82a4698967a7844f0c311768.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  40.2 KB

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Beautiful cover. One of the rare times, I prefer the newly commissioned artwork over the original poster. I didn't care for the poster as it just shows Fu Sheng's big mug and he of course is written out if the film early on. I also like Kung Fu Bob's other tribute print to this movie.

Name:  EIGHT+DIAGRAM+POLE+FIGHTER-+sample+image.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  123.9 KB