Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

I have it on dvd, but would re-buy a bluray.

Sad news as yet another Shaw Brothers actress has passed. RIP Li "Baby Queen" Ching (Nov 8, 1948 - Feb 22, 2018). Pretty sad reading how she lived out the final years of her life.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/eas...d-dead-in-flat

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/fo...-dead-in-home/
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Yet another German version of Ng See-yuen's THE SECRET RIVALS is coming out in March. Up for pre-order on Amazon.de now. I have multiple versions of this on dvd from Soulblade, Mei Ah, & Crash Masters. If I recall correctly the Crash Masters one had some audio issues. I don't have any of the previous German editions though.

Update on Teako's book, THE CHINATOWN KID bio on Fu Sheng - looks like it's scheduled to be published sometime around Fu Sheng's birthday (which is in mid-October).

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Update on Teako's book, THE CHINATOWN KID bio on Fu Sheng - looks like it's scheduled to be published sometime around Fu Sheng's birthday (which is in mid-October).
    Very nice, I think it's going to be killer, the man really did a lot of research for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Yet another German version of Ng See-yuen's THE SECRET RIVALS is coming out in March. Up for pre-order on Amazon.de now. I have multiple versions of this on dvd from Soulblade, Mei Ah, & Crash Masters. If I recall correctly the Crash Masters one had some audio issues. I don't have any of the previous German editions though.

How was the Soulblade release of this? Was the commentary by Toby Russell and Wong Tao interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrli View Post
    How was the Soulblade release of this? Was the commentary by Toby Russell and Wong Tao interesting?
    I haven't watched it with the commentary. I tried looking for it earlier but couldn't find it. Must be in storage. I remember the PQ was very good & it was widescreen. It also came with a short interview of Wong Tao too. I was surprised by how well Wong Tao spoke English but in the interview, he mentioned he had actually attended college in the US (think it was Texas A&M) before quitting and heading back to make a career in kung fu films.

Back to Shaw Brothers, I recently picked up a custom fan sub of THE KILLER aka SACRED KNIVES OF VENGEANCE and it was awesome to see this flick in widescreen with a nice remastered picture. Shame this wasn't made available on dvd by Celestial when they were restoring their back catalog. I think it also played on Celestial's TV channel but some of the gore was cut out. Having been accustomed to modern CGI blood, it's really shocking to see how well done the physical effects were back in the day with the blood bladders. Love all the spurting arterial spray and blood mists when anyone gets stabbed or punched in this flick & Ku Feng was fucking boss as the Japanese sword master.

I had the old German DVD of Secret Rivals. English and Mandarin audio options, but no subtitles.Beaten up print but watchable.

I hope the materials for these Seasonal films are still around for new HD scans.

Crash Cinema gave Secret Rivals a DVD release in the US years ago. I think I still have that disc kicking around somewhere. Would be happy to upgrade it as if I remember correctly there were aspect ratio issues.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oily Maniac is on Amazon Prime!

http://amzn.to/2tp8cSo
    Rock! Shock! Pop!