Thread: Arrow Releasing Burst City

Arrow Releasing Burst City

Coming in November...

Burst City is an explosive Molotov cocktail of dystopian sci-fi, Mad Max-style biker wars against yakuza gangsters and the police, and riotous performances from members of the real-life Japanese punk bands The Stalin, The Roosters, The Rockers and INU.

In a derelict industrial wasteland somewhere on the outskirts of Tokyo, two rival punk bands and their unruly mobs of fans gather for a Battle of the Bands-style protest against the construction of a nuclear powerplant, bringing them head to head with the yakuza industrialists behind the development of their turf.

This extraordinary celebration of Japan’s punk music scene of the early 1980s thrust Sōgo Ishii (now known by the name of Gakuryū Ishii), the underground filmmaking wunderkind behind such works as Half Human: Einstürzende Neubauten (1986), Angel Dust (1994) and Electric Dragon 80,000V (2001), to the next level and is regularly cited as an early landmark in Japanese cyberpunk cinema.

Production Year: 1982
    Region Code: B
    UK Rating: 15
    Running Time: 115 mins
    Number of Discs: 1
    Language: Japanese
    Subtitles: English
    Audio: Mono 1.0
    Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
    Colour: Colour

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentation
    Original lossless mono Japanese soundtrack
    Optional English subtitles
    Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film expert Tom Mes
    The Punk Spirit of ’82: Sōgo Ishii on Burst City, an exclusive new 56-minute interview with the director
    Bursting Out, an exclusive 27-minute interview with the academic and independent filmmaker Yoshiharu Tezuka on jishu eiga and the making of Burst City
    Original Trailer
    Image Gallery
    Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mark Player

Name:  burst.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  39.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This film is fairly insane, but I'm not sure I could stand to watch it again.

I suppose in a sense it's the ultimate example of "punk rock" filmmaking, in that it seems to largely consist of juddering shaky-cam footage of crazy, extroverted people incoherently yelling, shrieking and spitting at the camera, interspersed with passages of smacked out, self-indulgent boredom, has little discernable narrative, and basically just seems determined to be as obnoxious as humanly possible. It gave me a terrible headache, but presumably that just means I'm TOO OLD, and Sogo Ishii is laughing in my stupid face.

The last half hour, in which bands attempt to continue performing on an outdoor stage whilst being assaulted with bullets and tear-gas as a full-on war/riot erupts around them, is absolutely extraordinary however and should be seen at least once. Quite possibly the most epic scene of utter chaos I'm ever seen staged for a fictional movie.

Also enjoyed the earlier "concert" scene in which members of The Stalin (who seem completely unhinged throughout) try to get a gig by storming the stage, beating up the performing band and stealing their instruments. They also ride around on a tank waving a severed pigs head at one point, if I remember correctly.

Actually, who am I kidding, this sounds great - maybe I do need to watch it again.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. It's been years since I've seen it. I remember really liking the soundtrack.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I first saw this film on a bootleg VHS, then on the stellar DVD from Discotek Media/Eastern Star and a few years ago on the Japanese Blu-ray. It's not really a film that needs subtitles... I'll be getting the Arrow release for the director interview.