Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

A couple more blu ray SBs repacks from Blackhill are also up for pre-order with a release date of Jan 2020. One is VENGEANCE and the other is THE WATER MARGIN. These titles have been previously released by WVG on blu ray and are still in print and cheaper to boot.

"to boot"

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    "to boot"
    Don't understand the reasoning behind these repacks other than just a money grab. Both feature identical specs, same transfer but no mention of extras on the Blackhill discs. The WVG includes extras featuring Ti Lung & David Chiang Elegant Trails interviews plus a mini-doc on Chang Cheh.

My problem is that I usually buy the discs as they are issued. I felt a little chagrined when, for example, Cult Epics put out the discount Scorpio Films: The Dutch Sex Wave Collection, in a special box to boot, after I had paid full price for the discs singly.

Unfortunately that's the plight of collectors who pre-order and buy when they are first released. I'm usually not one to buy stuff day one or pre-order and usually wait for lower prices, sales, box sets, etc but it's just a guessing game in the end. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose as certain popular titles go OOP or get sold out. Nothing one can do about it.

Restoration work on TVP's next blu ray release of THE GOLDEN MASK is coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Unfortunately that's the plight of collectors who pre-order and buy when they are first released. I'm usually not one to buy stuff day one or pre-order and usually wait for lower prices, sales, box sets, etc but it's just a guessing game in the end. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose as certain popular titles go OOP or get sold out. Nothing one can do about it.
    That's perfectly correct as far as goes. However, you left out the part where the loser who is kicking himself for missing a now-OOP disc goes on eBay and buys it for twice the original price, just so he can put the whole affair behind him (and, of course, watch the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by mjeon View Post
    That's perfectly correct as far as goes. However, you left out the part where the loser who is kicking himself for missing a now-OOP disc goes on eBay and buys it for twice the original price, just so he can put the whole affair behind him (and, of course, watch the movie).
    I used to feel that way too but with the advent of streaming and shared files, I have less of a need to have a physical copy in my possession. In the past, I have paid 50% more than the retail price for rare or OOP media but that's my limit. I won't pay those exorbitant prices on e(xortion)Bay for rare stuff, no matter how exclusive it is.

Looking forward to FilmArt's blu ray release of Sun Chung's THE AVENGING EAGLE down the road (the DD dvd is fine) but in the meantime, FilmArt will have for pre-order very soon, an English friendly, widescreen blu ray + dvd release of THE HEROES aka THE SHAOLIN HEROES.

The next release in the Asia Line collection will be Ko Pao's NINJA KIDS. I know this had a R1 release in one of the Mill Creek 50 kung fu films boxsets & it was also part of the VENOM OF THE NINJA boxset from Crash Cinema as well.