Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Apronikoff View Post
    Wonder how this compares to the HK blu. I don't have that one, but I have the HK blu for the first One-Armed Swordsman flick and it was a pretty great release...
    Some discussion about that here. One user says that the German version is four minutes longer, then another user says that the IVL version and the German version both run 98 minutes. Gonna keep an eye on this. I'd forgotten the German version came out. It's kinda spendy but oh so tempting...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

You can find info about their martial arts films everywhere, I can also see list of top musicals earlier in this thread, but what about other genres? What are essential crime/action (set in modern times), comedies or (s)exploitation from SB? I've seen "Lost Souls" and it's a great film - nasty, perverted, with great ending, but what else is worth watching?

I really enjoyed the Shaw Brothers take on female revenge movies with a nod to the Pam Grier blaxploitation flicks in KISS OF DEATH & THE SEXY KILLER.

Also, the Shaw Brothers take on Charlie's Angels with DEADLY ANGELS aka BOD SQUAD definitely had its moments as well. Evelyn Kraft was one sexy woman -- puts Farrah Fawcett in the shade IMO.

I also recently saw Chang Cheh's SINGING KILLER & it was fun. A bizarre mix of film noirish elements within a standard heist pic with bits of a musical tossed in...yeah, it's sort of all over the place but entertaining. I'm a fan of David Chiang & Ti Lung, so I'll pretty much watch anything with those two apart from their usual kung fu flicks like DEAD END.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

I'd also recommend a lot of their horror films - Oily Maniac, Seeding Of A Ghost, Killer Snakes to name just a few. Those are all rad.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Thanks, I'll check some of that.

A few Shaw releases came out on Japanese Blu-ray. No Eng. language options though.

Name:  infra.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  peking.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  65.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Seeing that Jap blu ray of MIGHTY PEKING MAN makes me yearn even more for the Well Go USA blu that became vapor ware. Speaking of SBs from Well Go USA, they are releasing two more titles by director, Chor Yuen under their Sword Masters series, early next year. DEATH DUEL & LEGEND OF THE BAT aka CLANS OF INTRIGUE 2 are both up for pre-order on Amazon.

Nice to at least see those coming out. It's a shame that seemingly no one in the US did well enough with their SB titles to keep a line of Blu's going for very long.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Nice to at least see those coming out. It's a shame that seemingly no one in the US did well enough with their SB titles to keep a line of Blu's going for very long.
    yeah, when BCI folded, it really put a dent into SB blu ray titles as they were set to release something like 14 or 15 titles before they went kaput. I managed to pick up their only release, the now OOP OPIUM & THE KUNG FU MASTER & would've loved to get my hands on LIFE GAMBLE on blu but c'est la vie. I imagine since there are so many readily available cheap bootlegs & torrents available for SB titles that few people would even bother to pick up legitimate versions of the DVDs let alone the more expensive blu ray versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Some discussion about that here. One user says that the German version is four minutes longer, then another user says that the IVL version and the German version both run 98 minutes. Gonna keep an eye on this. I'd forgotten the German version came out. It's kinda spendy but oh so tempting...
    It looks rather quiet on the blu ray front for SB titles other than the Japanese paramount versions which you highlighted earlier & the German TVP media book blu rays. They are quite pricey but very lavish & the PQ is supposedly top notch. So far, I believe they have released FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS, SHAOLIN AVENGERS & THE SAVAGE FIVE in addition to the NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN & are due to release CRIPPLED AVENGERS and 7 MAN ARMY in the near future.

Those German discs are tempting. Didn't realize that had the other titles you mentioned lined up. That's good news at least... if they wind up being Eng. friendly.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!