Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Shaw Brothers Viewing Thread

Good news! My Love Eterne BD turned up this morning, and I can not only confirm that it's an All Region Blu, but also that the transfer is proper 1080p! This was of concern to me as the original Shaw HD masters appear to have been done as 1080i for broadcast (and then the DVDs authored as PAL to NTSC conversions). And for a film made in 1964 it looks...stunning! (I'll post a screenshot or two later)

Secondary good news: there's trailers on the disc for The One-armed Swordsman and New One-armed Swordsman! Thus, classic Shaw martial arts are on their way in HD!
    Last edited by Mike T; 02-21-2011 at 12:30 AM.

As promised, here's some screenshots from the Love Eterne Blu-ray. Bear in mind that these jpegs are compressed to approx. 1/6th the size of the original bitmaps I took, but they give you an idea just how good a 47 year old Huangmei Opera can look on BD...so you can imagine how some of their future releases will shape up!

Chinese Opera isn't for everyone, but being a bit of a student of Chinese film history (you all knew that already) the importance of this one on BD was essential for me.

Those do look very nice. Here's hoping the One-Armed Swordsman films are given similar treatment!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Those do look very nice. Here's hoping the One-Armed Swordsman films are given similar treatment!
    As all the HD masters were already done (and in 1080p against what I informed originally) I'm guessing that's an extremely high likelihood.
    I'll check the BD and see if the Swordsman trailers are in 1080p for you, as I didn't fuss about that...for some odd reason (looks at One-armed Swordsman DVD boxset)

Amazon's got 5 Deadly Venoms up for pre-order on Blu-ray.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

And like we were only talking about it yesterday, the entire One-armed Swordsman trilogy up for pre-order on Blu-ray!

One-armed Swordsman

Return of the One-armed Swordsman

The New One-armed Swordsman

Get in and get 'em early, as they normally go up $30HK after release date!

Ack! I need these. Thanks for the heads up, Mike.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Btw...got my BD of The Three Smiles through this morning. And just like the last one: immaculate! Near perfect 1080p picture, looks absolutely astounding for a film made the year after I was born. Yet again, sleeve marked Region A - disc is All Region. The only thing people are probably not going to like is that the discs don't have the original monaural sound; DTS-MA and DD5.1 (at 640kbps) only. Me? I couldn't give two squirts of cat's piss, tbh.

If you're going to have a brain aneurysm* over the lack of original mono (Lord knows how shrill that would sound forty years on), I'd say gives the discs a miss. But if you want Shaws in HD, these are (excuse the language) f**king amazing. From what I've seen so far, those One-armed Swordsman films are going to look pretty supercalifrickinawesome on BD.

* as I know some people do, present company excepted...
    Last edited by Mike T; 03-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.

I won't have a brain aneurysm over it, but I'd rather they do include the original mono mixes along with the newly mixed surround tracks. Then you get your choice. Sometimes the remixes sound great, sometimes they sound horrible and if they're using BD50 there's plenty of room for both.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Sometimes the remixes sound great, sometimes they sound horrible and if they're using BD50 there's plenty of room for both.
    All BD25s so far, since it's just the movie, two audio tracks (one HD), a 480i featurette, and a handful of trailers per each release.

Remember when we used to bitch about companies not using DVD-9s to get the best bitrate? Or how about the days where we pulled our hair out because no-one released movies letterboxed on VHS? It just goes around in cycles with each format, doesn't it?