Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Looking forward to it. always hard to tell the full story from screen caps.

Janus Films' Night of the Living Dead poster (art by Sean Phillips)
    Last edited by Derrick King; 11-01-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Nice poster!

Some more zombies from Sean Phillips that look like they might be for Criterion's eventual release (booklet/insert cover, maybe)

Am I the only one who's tired of these constant competing new transfers? I find myself only watching some films when a new version comes out. Going to draw the line and not upgrade NOLD, Suspiria, The Thing, Kill Baby Kill etc. until I go 4k and they're released in that format, otherwise this will just suck the joy out of watching the damn things in the first place. As long as the version of anything I have is not fundamentally flawed in some way, I'm sticking with it for now. Of course, this doen't apply to upgrading DVDs to Blus as I am an idiot and a hypocrite!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991)

Criterion's site is now selling the Janus Films poster

For those not paying attention in the Criterion thread, this is happening in Feb. 2018.

Shot outside Pittsburgh on a shoestring budget by a band of filmmakers determined to make their mark, Night of the Living Dead, directed by horror master George A. Romero, is one of the great stories of independent cinema: a midnight hit turned box-office smash that became one of the most influential films of all time. A deceptively simple tale of a group of strangers trapped in a farmhouse who find themselves fending off a horde of recently dead, flesh-eating ghouls, Romero’s claustrophobic vision of a late-1960s America literally tearing itself apart rewrote the rules of the horror genre, combined gruesome gore with acute social commentary, and quietly broke ground by casting a black actor (Duane Jones) in its lead role. Stark, haunting, and more relevant than ever, Night of the Living Dead is back, in a new 4K restoration.

New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
    New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary R. Streiner, and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
    Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
    New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
    Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
    New piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
    Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor
    Judith O’Dea, and more
    Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
    New programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
    New interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
    Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
    More!
    PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawan

Name:  night.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  35.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Saw this facebook post from Jim Cirronella posted on the Blu-ray forums
    Now that Criterion has announced the upcoming release of the definitive home video edition of NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD, we can finally discuss the NIGHT of ANUBIS work print and put to rest rumors of "nine minutes" of missing footage" so that no one is disappointed once they receive the blu-ray in February. (And don't get all crazy over the image posted below, it's there purely for effect.)
    First, what is the "Night of Anubis, never-before-presented work-print edit of the film" as advertised? While Night of the Living Dead was originally shot on 35mm, the Latent Image's editing equipment was 16mm, so a reduction print of all the raw footage was needed so that George Romero could edit the film. George's original edit of the film entitled "Night of Anubis" was said to contain additional scenes that were cut at the request of Continental. This mythical original cut of the film that everyone knows as "Night of the Living Dead" was also said to have been destroyed in the flooded basement of the former Latent Image offices, along with any chance to see those missing scenes.

Thanks to Gary Streiner's efforts at finding a proper home for Night of the Living Dead's original picture and sound elements at the Museum of Modern Art, the Night of Anubis 16mm work print was discovered among materials from the now-defunct WRS Motion Picture Labs. What comprises the "Anubis work print" are reels of 16mm silent picture along with 16mm magnetic track containing unmixed dialogue, music and sound effects. Examination of the reels showed that the work print had also been cut to match the theatrical version of NOTLD, which would have been required for those audio tracks to match the final edit of the picture. Remember, although NOTLD's primary picture element is a 35mm negative, the film's final sound mix would have come from those 16 mm magnetic tracks that were cut along with the work print. Unfortunately, this means that scenes such as the Cooper's additional bickering during the infamous basement jump cut had also been removed (and discarded) from the work print.

So what is different in the Night of Anubis work print? First, the original title still remains, and secondly, there is an alternate day-for-night view of the ghouls approaching the farmhouse. Since neither of these shots would have affected the soundtrack timing, both were left intact in the work print. But if a lack of missing scenes in the work print has got you down, then you'll be very pleased with this next item, "Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel." which is a discussion for another day.

Bugger! Probably pass on this then and wait for a UHD upgrade. Might get it if Criterion do a UK release in the future, but not going to pay import prices.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.