Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Yes, the points often came through loud and clear in reviews at the time, but I could never resolve them with my own experience of the film. As I recall upon its original release, some viewers didn't like the pushing of Pat Tallman's character into the foreground as it was perceived as being detrimental to the original text - but I always thought that was something that made Savini's film distinct from Romero's original.
    Yeah, that and the fact that the acting is better across the board (excluding Duane Jones) from everyone... Disregarding Tom Towle's screaming "Ya fucking YoYo's!" of course.

Barbara in the original is a unique case where we start with who we as the audience think is the main character. And that character becomes completely and utterly worthless by the end of the 1st act and is reduced to being a prop until the last 5 minutes. Not a lot of movies do that intentionally or otherwise. Not counting Psycho or anything where the main character dies before the 3rd act.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Hmm.... definitely rumor mill material but MAYBE the new restored Blu is coming in October (and maybe through Criterion?).

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=259
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Mill Creek is releasing this 10/17. I'd imagine it will not be the new restoration, haha.

Name:  20597377_1436560669743726_3640034134675578079_n.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  22.9 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

There's a chance!

I was rewatching the original recently. There's something that's always intrigued me about it and I wonder if Romero has ever spoken about it. The casting of a black actor in the lead here is borderline unique for the time. I have read quotes where Romero has said he was just the best actor going and he didn't even consider racial issues in the casting. Which seems possible as the actors the best in the film and I don't think race is mentioned once in the entire flick. The white guy who was hiding out in the basement seems exactly the sort who would be throwing around the N word in a stressful situation like this and he doesn't. But... Romero is such a socially conscious filmmaker that it really seems impossible that there this did not seem significant to him.

And the thing is our lead really fucks things up. He's the most charismatic one there and takes the leadership position but every decision he makes is wrong. If everyone had followed the unlikeable white guy in the basements advice they would have lived. Instead they listen to the charismatic black guy and get themselves killed. And then when everyone else is dead he saves himself by doing what the white guy had said they should be doing all along! And then he gets gunned downed by a bunch of white hicks who are retaking their land! The film almost feels like a warning not to trust or give equality to the black man.

Now I'm sure that wasn't intentional given the rest of Romero's filmography. But it feels like such an obvious reading of the film and given how people love to read into Romero's films I'm surprised it's not one I've seen him address.

The remake made it more obvious that staying in the basement was the wise decision. Romero said in an interview once that he may have subconsciously (or unconsciously either/or) did exploit Duane Jones' race when it comes to the end montage.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Name:  DIq3HIRVYAAN9ip.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  86.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Some caps from the Mill Creek disc. Full review coming soon, hopefully with some comparisons to the Happinet and Umbrella discs, because why not.

Rock! Shock! Pop!