Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    Does anyone on this forum actually like the Savini version? Imo I actually think that if the original hadn't been made and the Savini version was the original, then it still works well with Dawn and Day. But then again I could quite happily sit and "pretend" that Fulci's Zombie is the start of it all, as that works equally as well with Dawn and Day. But that now makes me feel a bit nerdy!!
    I love the Savini version. It goes good with DAY OF THE DEAD, the makup and overall production design are similar, IMO. I think more than any of the other films they feel like parts of the same universe.

I like that idea too that Fulci's ZOMBIE kicks everything off then follows into DAWN. I like that by doing that it gives a the zombie menace a bit of a classic voodoo zombie origin. At least in setting.

The original trilogy is amazing despite Night being a little dated. Come on, you know it's true, especially when Barbara goes into hysterics. But, an amazing series of films that are among the few zombie films that are epic in scope and are successful at it.

The new trilogy is dogshit. The sycophants seem to unanimously love Diary for some reason.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    The new trilogy is dogshit. The sycophants seem to unanimously love Diary for some reason.
    I can't get passed LAND. Saw that in the theater and that was enough.

I think LAND works better than DAY.

Slap.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I haven't seen it in ten years or more, but I love the Savini remake and don't fully comprehend the dislike that's been thrown in its direction. When it was first released, I approached it with some trepidation, expecting it to be less than mediocre, and found myself very satisfied with it. I'd love to see it again, although I held off from buying the US Blu-ray as it was quite expensive.
    Talked about that one here:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...ht+Living+Dead

It was an okay remake. Did some things right and some things mediocre. Wish Savini could have had complete control.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

I like Land. Recently busted out my DVD of that and enjoyed it again. The ones after that, though... (shudder)

The remake, as I recall (haven't seen it since the VHS days), was okay. The effects looked nice and it avoided a lot of the pitfalls I would've expected it to fall into. The main issue I had them with totally butching up the Barbara character wasn't that they were blatantly catering to the "strong female lead for a modern audience" schtick, because the character really does go too far in the other direction in the original (I saw this in the theater with a bunch of students last year, and it just got big laughs). But they didn't rewrite anything else to accommodate this totally different character. Like, the original dynamics work structured around the strong characters, the weak characters, the in-betweeners. The bulk of the film is about this power struggle. And to totally remove one of the most important aspects of that struggle and have her just essentially duplicate the truck driver's role kind of breaks the film. Not completely, but enough to sap a lot of power out of the film. It just felt like Savini was doing fine at matching the text, but totally missing the subtext. ...But, maybe if I were to revisit it, I'd find more to appreciate? I dunno.

Would rather watch LAND than NOTLD '90.

Quote Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
    I like Land. Recently busted out my DVD of that and enjoyed it again. The ones after that, though... (shudder)

The remake, as I recall (haven't seen it since the VHS days), was okay. The effects looked nice and it avoided a lot of the pitfalls I would've expected it to fall into. The main issue I had them with totally butching up the Barbara character wasn't that they were blatantly catering to the "strong female lead for a modern audience" schtick, because the character really does go too far in the other direction in the original (I saw this in the theater with a bunch of students last year, and it just got big laughs). But they didn't rewrite anything else to accommodate this totally different character. Like, the original dynamics work structured around the strong characters, the weak characters, the in-betweeners. The bulk of the film is about this power struggle. And to totally remove one of the most important aspects of that struggle and have her just essentially duplicate the truck driver's role kind of breaks the film. Not completely, but enough to sap a lot of power out of the film. It just felt like Savini was doing fine at matching the text, but totally missing the subtext. ...But, maybe if I were to revisit it, I'd find more to appreciate? I dunno.
    Savini did one thing that I thought was interesting and something different. He makes Ben almost as bad as Cooper. The original never addressed that at the end of the day Cooper was right, the basement was the safest place. And it is Ben's actions in staying up top and creating all that noise that brought the zombies to the house is what causes the shit to hit the fan.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
    I think LAND works better than DAY.
    I wouldn't quite say that, but I like LAND a lot. I didn't enjoy it when it was first released, finding it a disappointment, but it's really grown on me in the eight or so years since.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard