Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Savini did one thing that I thought was interesting and something different. He makes Ben almost as bad as Cooper. The original never addressed that at the end of the day Cooper was right, the basement was the safest place. And it is Ben's actions in staying up top and creating all that noise that brought the zombies to the house is what causes the shit to hit the fan.
    I think I prefer the fact that the basement was always the safest place as an un-commented on irony.

This may sound shallow, but what makes DAY so special for me is the music. I love that 80s synth stuff in horror films from the period and DAYs is one one of the best. I think If LAND had a similar soundtrack then I think it would have improved the film several times over, even though I kinda like the film anyway.

Also calling the fourth LAND was a misfire if it was intended to be the closing chapter. As much as Romero hated the title TWILIGHT or DUSK of the DEAD I don't care as it follows in the chronology and I think psychologically people could have accepted the film more. He certainly misfired with taking it back to its routes with Diary (I almost walked out of the cinema) and Survival (would have been much better if he had coaxed Savini out of retirement for the fx and also added some menace in there. There just isn't any feeling of impending doom or dread)
    Last edited by Lalala76; 06-23-2013 at 05:22 AM.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

See, how can you not love that!!!

This is THE classic theme for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    This may sound shallow, but what makes DAY so special for me is the music. I love that 80s synth stuff in horror films from the period and DAYs is one one of the best. I think If LAND had a similar soundtrack then I think it would have improved the film several times over, even though I kinda like the film anyway.

Also calling the fourth LAND was a misfire if it was intended to be the closing chapter. As much as Romero hated the title TWILIGHT or DUSK of the DEAD I don't care as it follows in the chronology and I think psychologically people could have accepted the film more. He certainly misfired with taking it back to its routes with Diary (I almost walked out of the cinema) and Survival (would have been much better if he had coaxed Savini out of retirement for the fx and also added some menace in there. There just isn't any feeling of impending doom or dread)
    Agreed on the soundtrack for DAY... It's a lovely score.

I haven't seen DIARY... or SURVIVAL... since the initial release of either and have no urge to rewatch them. I should do some day, as when I revisited LAND... after initially finding it a disappointment, it began to grow on me. Perhaps the same will be true of DIARY... and SURVIVAL... Then again, on that initial viewing of LAND... I found much more to enjoy in it than either of the films that followed it, so perhaps not.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I noticed this yesterday on amazon. I know virtually nothing about it, apart from the odd review I have read. But the artwork makes me want to watch it. Its supposed to be terrible and its Welsh!! But the reviews I have read are from Romero original purists (which I am too in a way), which may or may not have influenced the opinions.

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  35.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    I noticed this yesterday on amazon. I know virtually nothing about it, apart from the odd review I have read. But the artwork makes me want to watch it. Its supposed to be terrible and its Welsh!! But the reviews I have read are from Romero original purists (which I am too in a way), which may or may not have influenced the opinions.
    I'm curious too. I saw it on the shelves of my local supermarket today, funnily enough.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

That cover made me remember the version of NotLD where Russo and Hinzman shot new footage and inserted into the original film? There was a crazy priest and an After Effects helicopter crash. lol

Apparently, there's a NotLD: Re-Animation (not to be confused with the Resurrection one above), with Jeffrey Combs? Anybody ever heard of that? Looking on the imdb, there's another with Sid Haig and another with Danielle Harris? I never heard of any of these.

Notld re-animation, is just that I think ie its an animated version. I think that there are many versions out here now that have exploited the copyright issues, apparently none of them very good. This one out of all of them just got me curious though.