Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

For those who don't already own NOTLD blu ray (sacriledge I know!!!) this link has just proved extremely useful

http://wtf-film.com/site/tag/george-romero/

Yep - just like I said the last time

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    As for the movie itself, Todd gets better with each viewing, and Towles infinitely worse. He's almost hilariously awful here. Amazing when you consider how great he was in HENRY. I was never all that crazy about the Barbara reboot but Tallman is OK and certainly looks good with a gun and spaghetti western-style bullet bandolier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    This may sound shallow, but what makes DAY so special for me is the music. I love that 80s synth stuff in horror films from the period and DAYs is one one of the best. I think If LAND had a similar soundtrack then I think it would have improved the film several times over, even though I kinda like the film anyway.
    Completetly agree with your thoughts on music. A lot of the films I tend to rewatch are based greatly on the score, and that's why I tend to lean 70's 80's because I love the synthy stuff.

I also agree on the title, I was really hoping for TWILIGHT OF THE DEAD. Can't say my dislike is based solely on that but it did seem like a mistep, to me anyway. Not sure at what point Romero decided for it to be the first of a new set of films and not the last of the earlier group. Not that it really matters.

Paul's comments make me want to give it a revisit. I saw it twice in the theater, once with my wife when we were dating. At the time I remember us liking it but I think we were enjoying each other's company more. We would have liked any movie they put on. I saw it again by myself but that's when it all felt a little bland. DAY is a gorey nightmare. Stuck underground with a bunch of military nuts and a mad scientist. LAND, even though it had name actors felt more like a made for tv movie. It had no bite. It was exactly the point when the zombie genre out stayed it's welcome.

That UK NOTLD is horrible. It is a scam that has nothing to do with NOTLD. And outside of feeling scammed, it's just a shitty, annoying movie.

I saw it twice in the theater, once with my wife when we were dating. At the time I remember us liking it but I think we were enjoying each other's company more.
    No wonder!!! what were you up to in the cinema then??? back seats and all. Im surprised you remembered any of it

I also agree on the title, I was really hoping for TWILIGHT OF THE DEAD. Can't say my dislike is based solely on that but it did seem like a mistep, to me anyway. Not sure at what point Romero decided for it to be the first of a new set of films and not the last of the earlier group. Not that it really matters
    Come to think of it. If I remember correctly, Romero had intended 3 films that utilised the same characters but in the following timeline of the first 3. I don't know what changed his mind and made him start from scratch (maybe Universals meddling with LAND) but he certainly tried that after DIARY. I think I would forgive him if he made one final effort and made TWILIGHT and it was F**king brilliant!!! (but being british I prefer DUSK OF THE DEAD as it begins with D!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
    That UK NOTLD is horrible. It is a scam that has nothing to do with NOTLD. And outside of feeling scammed, it's just a shitty, annoying movie.
    Thanks for the opinion. I'm sure you're probably right. I just got caught up in the "I need a new zombie movie that's good" mode and the artwork kept reeling me in. You have probably brought me to my senses and to reality again.

I was fooled too. I thought their idea of a UK twist on NOTLD would be cool. Turns out there's no twist on NOTLD (except maybe the beginning 5 mins or so -- that's the scam). Luckily, I downloaded it for free instead of buying it. I would've really been pissed if I'd dropped cash on it.

From Cinefantastique, Summer 1971, Volume 1 number 3. The first serious review I remember reading of the phenomenon then raging across movie screens:

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Bloody Hell I think I need glasses!!