Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

It makes me want to see the the original vision of LAND. If only somewhere down the line ROMERO said "Well actually folks, it was all filmed and heres my directors cut not the directors cut Universally put out, oh and its unrated/18 without any cgi, and we revisited the score, and ..................." etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by KeithBarrow View Post
    ...Riley and Slack fighting off zombies in a fog so thick that they get within inches before being seen...
    That would've been amazing.

I got ahold of the DEAD RECKONING script in 2002, so I had three years to read it and anticipate the film being made. I knew it would change between that draft and the final film, but the removal of nearly every "Romeroesque" element (including much sharp satire, like a scene of Riley and Charlie fighting zombies hand to hand outside of a ballroom of oblivious Green fat cats doing "rock and roll dances" to a cheesey 50s band) was just depressing, and the loss of DR's racial commentary (Riley is a young black guy in this version, and is dating Kaufman's lily white daughter, to the dislike of the Green yuppies) means that a direct link to the racial insights of Romero's original films was lost.
    Basically, DEAD RECKONING was a Romero movie, and LAND was Hollywood product with Romero's name in the credits.

I've been planning on writing an essay on the differences between the DEAD RECKONING script and the finished LAND, not just about the missing action scenes and satire, but also the completely different characterizations and how DR carried on themes from DAWN and DAY while LAND seems to exist outside the original trilogy in many ways.

The DEAD RECKONING script isnt perfect---the climax is weak, and several events would have been changed in any instance (Kaufman is abruptly and confusingly killed off halfway in, leaving that part of the story to hang inconclusively) but in my opinion, the alternate vision it depicts is that "final conclusion" to the DEAD films that fans were hoping for.

I'm also going to finally scan it and post it online for people to see.....it has never shown up anywhere yet.

I've been planning on writing an essay on the differences between the DEAD RECKONING script and the finished LAND, not just about the missing action scenes and satire, but also the completely different characterizations and how DR carried on themes from DAWN and DAY while LAND seems to exist outside the original trilogy in many ways.

The DEAD RECKONING script isnt perfect---the climax is weak, and several events would have been changed in any instance (Kaufman is abruptly and confusingly killed off halfway in, leaving that part of the story to hang inconclusively) but in my opinion, the alternate vision it depicts is that "final conclusion" to the DEAD films that fans were hoping for.

I'm also going to finally scan it and post it online for people to see.....it has never shown up anywhere yet.

I think there was plenty of Romero-isms throughout LAND. Cheesy dialogue, laughable character names, tense situations between people that were supposed to allies, living dead gaining more human traits again, etc. Perhaps there could've been more symbolism and racial issues, but I think it's pretty successful in its comic book silliness.

But did the fans want silliness and sloppiness from what was supposed to be the final film in the series? I don't think so.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Sloppiness? Silliness? In a Romero movie? Well, it's not like there was a pie fight in it...

Never thought I would say this but just watching the optimum bd of Night, but its not the cropping that bothers me its the ratio of 1.33.1. I previously owned the original Elite dvd which I could adapt so the image filled the screen. The bd no matter how much I change my settings its just the annoying thick black bars at either side of the screen. I just cant get past it. The transfer is great, its just that this distracts me so much. I may have to go back to watching the dvd. What a shame.

Racial issues of Leguizamo never being able to buy his way into the city and all were still in Land (and worked reasonably well, I thought). Okay, he wasn't black; but that seems like a superficial detail considering the racial dynamics were still essentially the same.

I agree the retarded sidekick and his "sky flowers" talk was very hokey, though it was going into interesting territory with the mentally strongest zombies becoming less mesmerized by the fireworks than the weaker humans.