Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Hokey? You mean like the accents McDermott and John use and the things do and say?

I'm playing devil's advocate here, btw. My point is that Romero's movies have always had hokey characters and dialogue, as well as silliness. LAND may be a little more obvious because it's not a low budget movie from the 70's, but it's still pretty characteristic of Romero's style.

The silliness is so much more overt in LAND. I never thought of DAY, DAWN or NIGHT as silly, pie fight and bad accents aside. They all feel properly nihilistic, with dread and real danger. The zombies feel cheap in LAND, I feel like I'm always aware that I'm watching an actor, they just don't sell it to me. They are no threat. The three main characters plus some hanger ons make it out alive. Either Asia or the sidekick should have died, or the main guy. Or all of them. Even the zombies make it out alive (you know what I mean). The whole tone is wrong. What a disappointing piece of crap.

Big Daddy wasn't even a developed zombie. All he does is scream like Shatner yelling out "Khan!" and look a little sad. Bub was actually a fully developed character with a proper arc and you actually feel sorry for him when he finds Frankenstein's body.

Even if you're going to argue that the original trilogy had x number of cheesy moments the sheer stupidity and hamfisted-ness of the new trilogy more than out weigh those fleeting moments. More so, you could nitpick anything in classic films. I could nitpick about the dialog or the blood being paint in Suspiria and use that to justify Mother of Tears being good. The point is not nitpicking over minor things in a film. But to point out HUGE inconsistencies and illogical things that detract from the film.

There's so many moments like that in the new trilogy that it's just sad.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

The original trilogy certainly had humor, but it was firmly rooted in the interior story logic. It wasnt outlandish and sticking out like a sore thumb like the new films have it.

Again, the original films held to a plausible everyday realism in character actions and story events, which is why the world they present has fascinated people to this day and has been ripped off incessantly from Fulcis ZOMBIE to THE WALKING DEAD.

Zombies with CGI heads dangling from their spinesand absurdly fast apocalypses (DIARY has an instant overnight collapse of society, unlike the more realistic months-long decline suggested in DAWN) and stupid wisecracks are no substitute, unless your standards are low and silly zombies meeting fake-looking CGI demises makes you content.

To me I now don't count DIARY and SURVIVAL, as they are separate to the progression of the original story. LAND I reiterate was enjoyable and I still count it as part 4. What it suffers from is that its not allowed to breath, like DAWN, where the story takes precedent over the action. Even DAY suffers in that respect but DAY has a lot of dialogue from each character and it actually feels like its progressing from DAWN as the feeling of doom seems to escalate in that one. By the time we get to LAND what should have been an impossible situation actually feels watered down as they have learned to cope with the situation. So in my eyes the series got gradually more doom laden until Land. The series was missing an episode between Day and Land to bridge the gap. How did they learn to cope???

Coming from Umbrella Entertainment in Australia on 9/8/13:

Night of the Living Dead

1.33.1/1080p
    DTS-HD 2.0

Reflections on the Living Dead - 80 Mins - An exclusive documentary on the making of Night of the Living Dead, featuring interviews with Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper and Sam Raimi
    TV SpotTheatrical Trailer

Name:  night.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  15.9 KB

Dawn of the Dead (2 Disc)
    Widescreen (no AR listed)/1080p
    DTS-HD 5.1

DISC ONE

Audio Commentary with George A Romero, Tom Savini and Chris Romero - Audio Commentary with Producer Richard Rubinstein - The Dead Will Walk Documentary - 75 mins - In Conversation with George A Romero at MIFF (2008) - 50 mins - Photo Galleries - Original Reviews - Biographies - Original Radio Spot - Theatrical Trailers

DISC TWO

Fan of the Dead - Document of the Dead - 84 mins - Document of the Dead - Lost Interview - Document of the Dead - Deleted Scenes

Name:  dawn.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  10.3 KB

Day of the Dead (2 Disc)

Widescreen (no AR listed)/1080p
    DTS-HD 5.1

Audio commentary with writer/director George A. Romero, Special make-upeffects artist Tom Savini, Production designer Cletus Anderson and actress Lori Cardille - Audio commentary with members of the special effects team including Greg Nicotero, Howard Berger, Everett Burrell and Mike Deak - "Reflections on the Living Dead" - a feature length documentary on the making of the "Dead" movies including interviews with horror icons Wes Craven, TobeHooper and Sam Raimi .Behind the Scenes on-set featurette. Original theatrical - trailer TV spots - Extensive Stills Galleries

Name:  day.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  17.6 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

LOVE that cover art for Day!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

I don't normally geek out over steelbooks but this... this is very pretty.

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/night-o.../11156605.html

Name:  11156605-2704314825175146.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  11156605-5574314825180822.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  11156605-2024314825186189.jpg
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  11156605-1564314825167748.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Is the Elite "Millennium" DVD of the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD still the best release of that title, or has it been surpassed?

the Japanese 40th Anniversary edition Blu Ray beats it