Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Ah, yes, I think that will do nicely. Thank you!

You can see the differences between the many releases here
    http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...hd_multiID=275

Newly discovered footage from the original NOTLD has been found and Scorsese is backing a restoration.

http://oneperfectshotdb.com/news/new...n-restoration/

"The workprint was discovered when Romero and Scorsese were working on the original negatives of the film. These means that not only could we see a theatrical re-release of the film fully restored, we may finally get a Blu-ray that includes both the original version and the workprint version of the film. The workprint is discussed on the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD Millennium Edition commentary track by Romero and others, starting at the 49min mark, if you want to find out more about it. "
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Apparently George jumped the gun and some of the info he blabbed isn't 100% correct, according to the producer of Autopsy Of The Dead. The producer, Jim Cironella, states an official announcement is coming shortly.

Wish they could find the extra footage for Martin.

Umbrella in Australia are releasing a 2-disc Blu-ray set with Romero's original and Savini's remake.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...dition/889426/

Name:  164706-L-LO.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  45.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The Savini remake is pretty damn good. I find it to be a little more re-watchable than the original and not because it's in color.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    The Savini remake is pretty damn good.
    I love that picture too. I never fully understood the drubbing it received from some quarters.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I love that picture too. I never fully understood the drubbing it received from some quarters.
    Because it wasn't different enough (which wasn't Savini's fault it was the producers and Romero who were behind that) and it's a little dry when it comes to gore.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Because it wasn't different enough (which wasn't Savini's fault it was the producers and Romero who were behind that) and it's a little dry when it comes to gore.
    Yes, the points often came through loud and clear in reviews at the time, but I could never resolve them with my own experience of the film. As I recall upon its original release, some viewers didn't like the pushing of Pat Tallman's character into the foreground as it was perceived as being detrimental to the original text - but I always thought that was something that made Savini's film distinct from Romero's original.

One thing I always liked about Savini's picture was its sense of timelessness - that the setting of the film, in terms of era, is difficult to pin down. At the time of its release, it felt to me there were some elements (costume, decor) that nodded towards the era of the original film's production, but also some elements (eg, Tallman's character) that located the film in that late-1980s/early-1990s period. In that sense, it felt very 'true' of small towns that sometimes feel trapped in the past, and upon which the present (in the form of visitors) sometimes intrudes.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard