Thread: The Jeff Burr appreciation thread.

The Jeff Burr appreciation thread.

Largely unsung genre director who directed some classic and not so classic flicks. But he has a smaller following then some of his contemporaries which is in my opinion undeserved. I haven't seen anything he's done since Night of the Scarecrow but if I hear good things about those later films I'll check them out.

From a Whisper to a Scream AKA The Offspring. One of the best anthology horror flicks you could find, 2nd only to Creepshow which I personally think is the best anthology horror flick. Great effects, great acting, and Tales from the Crypt-inspired just deserts-styled vengeance. Even the two lesser stories are still fun to watch plus it has Vincent Price in one of his final roles. Probably Jeff Burr's masterpiece.

Stepfather 2. More of the same and if you liked Terry O'Quinn's performance in the first film then you'll enjoy this one enough. Suffers from that problem that a lot of sequels face in that it's a redo of the first film and doesn't really top it in any way. An okay flick.

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3. Easily his most famous film and it's very like it or hate it among the die hards. I consider myself in the like it camp. The acting, pacing, effects, production design and all that are good. It definitely has an interesting production history with Burr being the very last director in line for the project and the film facing the wraith of the MPAA resulting in an R rated flick that looks like it was edited for television. Still, having watched all three version throughout the years (cut to hell R rated version, "uncut" version, and workprint version) it's definitely grown on me in a weird way. It's not one of my favorite films but as far chainsaw/slasher flicks go I think it's pretty fun. The workprint really clues you in on what direction Burr was going in and while the workprint/composite is easily the best way to watch the flick it still maintains a hold on the viewer to keep watching and not in a train wreck sort of way.

Puppet Master 4 and 5. Boy, I really wanted to like these movies but there's one major problem. The pacing is terrible. The padding is very obvious and I'd love to see a fan-edit that cuts out all of the padding and makes this one film. Has some great moments though. Arguably the last of the good Puppet Master movies with David Allen doing the stop motion work.

Pumpkinhead 2: Blood Wings. I genuinely liked this when I was younger... Not one of my best moments. Obviously does not hold up to re-watching and plays by it's own rules for the most part. I must have seen this five times and still nothing makes any sense when paired with the superior original film. What's with Jeff Burr and sequels anyway? Though I did like the scene where Pumpkinhead does a wrestling-styled back breaker on a dude.

Night of the Scarecrow. One of my guilty pleasures and has a bit in common with Warlock: the Armageddon and Wishmaster in that they focus on a demonic entity that is unleashed upon the world who has godlike powers and needs to reclaim an item or items in order to free himself or bring the apocalypse or whatever. And with that kind of concept you have a lot of room to have great set pieces. And while it isn't as great as Warlock: the Armageddon in that regard it's still a fun horror flick. Love the scene where the Scarecrow pretends to succumb to the cross and then stitches the priests' mouth shut.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 07-05-2013 at 02:40 AM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Nope, sorry...no love for him from me......

Disastrous CHAINSAW sequel (he blames the MPAA for gutting it...but all the gore in the world was not going to salvage it in my opinion!!!)

STEPFATHER 2 was just a rehash of the first (superior) movie...Terry O'Quinn made both of these movies work....Burr added nothign new to the formula...

Puppetmaster 4/5...Yeah, nothing to report on these two....I like the idea of cuttign them both down and blending them into one movie...THAT might do it.....

Pumpkinhead 2 was not a patch on the original......and they should not have bothered....

Seems like BURR is the guy they get in when they need a cheap , workmanlike sequel to movies that did well on video.....

You really should watch From A Whisper to a Scream. It was on Netflix last year.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Re: The Jeff Burr appreciation thread.

Thanks for putting him on the radar. I dig work for hire, especially if there's some personal spark with the paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
    Thanks for putting him on the radar. I dig work for hire, especially if there's some personal spark with the paycheck.
    No personal spark on show in ANY of the movies I saw of his.....could have been directed by ANYONE..