Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Hong Kong action movies on DVD thread

BIG HEAT is a badass movie for sure. I'm not really a fan of Waise Lee -- I dunno, something about him grates me the wrong way and usually he's just in a supporting role or secondary character anyway but he's a straight G in this.

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    DDD>HOUSE I used to use religiously about 10 years ago...Since I gave up the collecting I have ne call for these days.....but highly reputable , and cheap!!
    hey man, since you stopped collecting...what did you do with your old dvds? you got any old OOP/rare shit from back in the day that you wanna trade or get rid of? hit me up with a PM if you're interested.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    I might have to dig up my old dvd and check it out too. It sure brings back lots of memories both good and bad (looking at you, Eric Tsang!). I have the German dvd because it had an anamorphic picture plus a mono Cantonese mix. I seem to recall the Universe or was it Megastar only had a Mandarin mono soundtrack? Btw, Paul, do you know if the HK dvd is uncut? I know the PAL dvd was uncut.
    I've got the Mega Star release, and as far as I can tell it's uncut (certainly not cut in comparison with the old UK VHS I had, which I believed to be uncut too), anamorphic and with both Cantonese and Mandarin audio options.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Thanks Paul. Seems the only advantage to the German dvd is the mono soundtrack as opposed to the remix on the megastar.

Caught a vintage HK action double header earlier. As mentioned, not a fan of Waise Lee but I'm even less of a fan of Michael Wong and both were in the first movie I watched which was Johnny Wang Lung-wei's FURY. Made around the same time as THE BIG HEAT and that is definitely the superior film but this had some nice action/gun play too.

Then finished with David Lai's heroic bloodshed lite film, SWORN BROTHERS. It's pretty much your standard fare and nothing particularly sets it apart from all the other triad brotherhood films that came out during that era but it had some gritty violence and bloodshed on display. One scene is a straight rip off of SCARFACE when Andy Lau is on the receiving end of some ball peen hammer torture and the makeup effects are cringeworthy. If only Chin Ka-lok would've arrived a bit earlier with the molotov cocktails instead of making small talk with his mom.

FURY ain't bad. It's not great either, but it's a fun action picture with some good setpieces. I've not seen that one in a number of years; I should rewatch it when I get the chance.

SWORN BROTHERS is one that I own but I don't recollect having watched it. I shall dig it out and give it a spin when I have some free time.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

I decided to revisit David Chung's 1988, sci-fi crime caper action/comedy I LOVE MARIA after many years. I remember I used to love this flick back in the day and yep, it still holds up. It has everything I love about HK cinema of that era -- the mix of slapstick comedy, cheesy melodrama and great butt kicking action! These films had probably a tenth of the budget of similar Hollywood fare but for sheer entertainment value, I would choose I LOVE MARIA over ROBOCOP every time.

I LOVE MARIA is another one I've not seen for a number of years, but it's a lot of fun. I think I've only got that picture on VCD; I should upgrade to the DVD, I guess.

Paul, I have the Joy Sales dvd which I believe is OOP now but last I checked, the Universe version is still available on the used market for decent prices. Unfortunately, the Universe version is non-anamorphic and it has added surround effects.

I caught the CATIII rated Thailand based sex action flick, NAKED HUNTRESS aka HERO DREAM earlier. Starring the two Chins plus Michiko Nishiwaki and also has a (very) brief cameo by Sophia Crawford. Full frontal on display as befitting of its CATII rating but unfortunately, quite a few shots are of a bunch of shemales. The action is entertaining at times with some frenzied gun play and kung fu but overall, a disappointing mess of a film.

Caught the Jackie Chan produced, Michael Mak directed 1992 robbery heist action flick, THE SHOOTOUT. Much to my chagrin, the title is very misleading as most of the movie is wasted on droll comedy, stupid gags & Aaron Kwok's budding relationship with the girlfriend of the leader of a gang of murderous armed robbers. The cast looks good on paper with Beardy, Lau Ching-wan, Elvis Tsui & the aforementioned baby faced Aaron Kwok (damn, he looks like he barely reached puberty here) but they are hamstrung by a shitty script and storyline. Some gritty action set pieces in the intro and finale but not enough to make up for the lame ass interlude. You know the cast is mailing it in for a paycheck when the most interesting character onscreen is one of the armed robbers played by Kingdom Yuen. Also, had a laugh at the very un-PC dialogue throughout -- doubt they can get away with all that talk about AIDS and Africans these days.

Speaking of politically incorrect HK action films, I caught Frankie Chan's (directed, produced and wrote the screenplay) 1988 flick, THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE BEAUTY earlier. Another of those mashup genre busting buddy cop movies with Kent Cheng & Frankie Chan as the "odd couple" cop roomies . Some really goofball comedy along with some pretty graphic violence (point blank gunshots to head, brains blown out, half burnt corpse, speargun impalement, etc). Cherie Chung as the diamond smuggling stewardess is the eye candy and the object of Kent Cheng's affections. The gweilos cast in this are freaking hilarious especially the two black hired guns on the beach. Their dialogue basically consisted of the most stereotypical jive talk and of course, they could't contain themselves and were set to rape poor Cherie before Frankie arrives on the scene to rescue her. The subtitles on the Joy Sales DVD actually translated Frankie as saying "I'll take care of these niggers."