Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The BFI's Upcoming DVD & Blu-ray Schedule

The BFI's Upcoming DVD & Blu-ray Schedule

From the BFI's new press release:

This autumn the BFI will make available on DVD a superb collection of rare and previously unseen ghost and horror titles from the BBC archives. Released as part of the BFI’s GOTHIC: THE DARK HEART OF FILM blockbuster project (www.bfi.org.uk/gothic), these long-unseen gems will delight many fans of British horror and classic TV drama.

Highlights in October include:

The legendary Play for Today drama Robin Redbreast (1970) – an unsettling tale of ‘folk horror’ that’s considered a precursor to 1973’s The Wicker Man (DVD)
    The three surviving, terrifying episodes of the long-unseen 1972 ghost story anthology Dead of Night (DVD)
    Classic Ghost Stories (1986), five spine-tingling tales from the pen of MR James, presented by Robert Powell (DVD)
    An extended six-disc repackage of the best-selling BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas (DVD)

Highlights in November include:

A BFI Flipside Dual Format Edition presentation of the BBC’s Schalcken the Painter (1979). This highpoint of BBC arts filmmaking will be presented in High Definition from a rare 16mm source recently discovered in the BFI National Archive
    The 1977 BBC gothic horror anthology Supernatural starring a host of British acting legends including Billie Whitelaw, Robert Hardy, Denholm Elliot and Jeremy Brett (DVD)

Other Gothic releases include:

Scary Stories – a collection of creepy films from The Children’s Film Foundation featuring The Man From Nowhere (1976), Haunters of the Deep (1984) and Out of the Darkness (1985) (September 2013, DVD)
    A three-disc Dual Format special edition of Rupert Julian / Lon Chaney’s original The Phantom of the Opera (1925) (November 2013)
    The BFI National Archive digital re-mastering of Thorold Dickinson’s dark psychological drama Gaslight (1940) (November 2013, Dual Format Edition)

October also sees the long-awaited Blu-ray premiere of Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai (1954) – presented as a steelbook exclusively at www.zavvi.com (NB. As the steelbook release is exclusive to this retailer, review copies will not be available at this time)

Rescheduled releases for December include the previously announced Dual Format Editions of Roberto Rossellini’s Stromboli (1950) and Journey to Italy (1954), and Alain Robbe-Grillet’s Trans-Europ Express (1967) and Successive Slidings of Pleasure (1974).

Name:  969380_589183934457103_602589110_n.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  82.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Highlights in October include:

The legendary Play for Today drama Robin Redbreast (1970) – an unsettling tale of ‘folk horror’ that’s considered a precursor to 1973’s The Wicker Man (DVD)
    The three surviving, terrifying episodes of the long-unseen 1972 ghost story anthology Dead of Night (DVD)
    [....]
    A BFI Flipside Dual Format Edition presentation of the BBC’s Schalcken the Painter (1979). This highpoint of BBC arts filmmaking will be presented in High Definition from a rare 16mm source recently discovered in the BFI National Archive
    The 1977 BBC gothic horror anthology Supernatural starring a host of British acting legends including Billie Whitelaw, Robert Hardy, Denholm Elliot and Jeremy Brett (DVD)
    SUPERNATURAL's pretty good, and ROBIN REDBREAST is excellent, but I'm really excited about DEAD OF NIGHT and SCHALKEN THE PAINTER, both of which I rate very highly. (To this day, I can't watch the DEAD OF NIGHT episode 'A Woman Sobbing' alone. It gives me the heebiejeebies.) It's going to be very nice to see the surviving DEAD OF NIGHT episodes, SCHALKEN and ROBIN REDBREAST via good presentations. All of these are definitely worth buying.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

In fact, I've preordered the arse out of all of these - and THE MUMMY on Blu! Man alive, I'm going to be skint... but happy
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Nice to see the original GASLIGHT getting a good release. I think I actually prefer that version to the more celebrated Ingrid Bergman one.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Nice to see the BFI being able to wrangle more archive stuff from the BBC. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on Ghost Stories for Christmas for a while now, guess I'll have to wait until the expanded set comes out. Pity the Rossellini's have been delayed, though I imagine that gives them time to cram some more extras in to compete with the Criterion offering that's coming up.

And on top of that, what looks like it'll be the definitive release of Phantom. The BFI should be getting plenty of my cash this year.

Whats expanded about the ghost stories for xmas then?. Shiiiat, only just bought that in January.

I'm definitely going to have to pre-order the Seven Samurai steelbook with the nice debossed title & clean minimalist design.

The BFI's Fall & Winter 2013 Schedule

SCHALCKEN THE PAINTER is based on a fantastic Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu short story.

I first came into contact with this story in it's radio play version from the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre retitled "Till Death Do Us Join". It's brilliant in the radio version - I was listening alone late at night and it scared the crap out of me. It was described perfectly as being "grisly, ghoulish and inexplicably haunting" by radio host EG Marshall in his introduction to the radio version.

Here's a link to the radio version where you can stream the episode - legally.

http://www.cbsrmt.com/episode-263-ti...o-us-join.html

I'm thrilled to have this coming on a Blu ray - I've never seen the BBC version.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Cordier View Post
    I'm thrilled to have this coming on a Blu ray - I've never seen the BBC version.
    You're in for a treat, Horace. It's very, very good.

I've only seen this via a rather rough VHS recording, so it'll be nice to see it on Blu.

Cant remember any of these. I loved the ghost stories for Christmas though, very much so. What would you recommend Paul as these sound potentially my sort of thing.