Thread: Saving General Yang

Saving General Yang

Well Go USA has this coming out on DVD & Blu-ray on 12/10/13.

I don't know much about this, but it's a Ronnie Yu movie, so that instantly makes me somewhat curious.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I have this on my computer somewhere but I haven't watched it yet due to not being a big Ronny Yu fan in general, the cantopop stars that feature prominently in this & have never been a fan of Ekin Chang either. But having said that, I'll get around to checking it out soon. Hard to believe it's been nearly a decade since Yu's last film FEARLESS?

Has anyone seen the "female version" of the Yang Generals story by Frankie Chan called LEGENDARY AMAZONS? It's also put out by Well Go USA & I remember it was savaged by the critics upon release and is considered one of the worst films to come out of China in recent memory. I bring this up because this Yu film was originally supposed to be an all-female cast starring big names like Michelle Yeoh, Gong Li & Zhang Ziyi but due to the Frankie Chan film usurping it & its dismal reception, Yu changed it to this version. Wonder how Yu's female version would've turned out?

I saw Legendary Amazons and it was amusing enough if you're in the right frame of mind for it (meaning don't make any attempt to take it seriously and you'll probably come out ok and without any brain damage). Well Go's disc looks really nice as I remember.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I saw Legendary Amazons and it was amusing enough if you're in the right frame of mind for it (meaning don't make any attempt to take it seriously and you'll probably come out ok and without any brain damage). Well Go's disc looks really nice as I remember.
    I'll have to check it out & be in the right frame of mind like you said. Talking about this movie made me pull out my Shaw Brothers version, THE 14 AMAZONS & I had a hoot watching it all over again. Have you seen it? Lisa Lu was great as the matriarch, same with Lily Ho playing a "male" role & I'm a fan of anything with "Baby Queen" Li Ching.

**edit**

uh, nevermind...I forgot that you reviewed this very movie for dvdtalk.
    Last edited by 47lab; 09-24-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Yes! Didn't Funimation put that out? Too bad their Shaw line seems to have stopped. At least we got Hong Kong Godfather out of them before they called it quits though.

I was hopeful Legendary Amazons would capture the same sort of loony magic and sadly it doesn't There are a few spots where you get the impression that they're trying though!
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

yep, it was a Funimation release. I have all the Funimation SBs releases except THE BASTARD SWORDSMAN/RETURN OF THE BASTARD SWORDSMAN because I already had the IVL boxset but the other 13 or so titles were all very good buys with nice picture & sound quality. Definitely pleased as punch that they put out HONG KONG GODFATHER before they stopped because I was finally able to see an uncut version in all its bloody glory! I noticed you also reviewed this one for dvdtalk -- did you manage to review all of the Funimation SBs releases?