Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Who Is Releasing Argento's Opera on Blu-ray?

  1. #1
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    44,609

    Who Is Releasing Argento's Opera on Blu-ray?

    I'd say it sure looks that way, this just popped up on Don's Facebook page...


    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  25.0 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  2. #2
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    You burned the fucking money!
    Posts
    4,325
    I'm definitely in for a Blu-ray, especially if it contains the shorter US cut and the alternate English dub - and the Italian dub with correctly-translated English subtitles (not the dubtitles that were on Arrow's DVD releases). The Italian track is different in some interesting ways (not least of which is the closing monologue is in the third person, rather than the first person - through which it's presented in both English dubs).

    One of my favourite Argento films, this is. Please do it right, Synapse!
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  3. #3
    Pallid Hands Andrew Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    This Godforsaken Outpost
    Posts
    4,030
    Not one of my Argento favorites but I do like it. All I have is the Anchor Bay disc so I'd go for a Blu-ray.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

  4. #4
    Waterfall Puncher Derrick King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sklarbro Country
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm definitely in for a Blu-ray, especially if it contains the shorter US cut and the alternate English dub - and the Italian dub with correctly-translated English subtitles (not the dubtitles that were on Arrow's DVD releases). The Italian track is different in some interesting ways (not least of which is the closing monologue is in the third person, rather than the first person - through which it's presented in both English dubs).

    One of my favourite Argento films, this is. Please do it right, Synapse!
    Seeing the effort they are putting into their DEMONS & DEMONS 2 Blu-rays, I have not doubt that Synapse will do OPERA right.

  5. #5
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    You burned the fucking money!
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick King View Post
    Seeing the effort they are putting into their DEMONS & DEMONS 2 Blu-rays, I have not doubt that Synapse will do OPERA right.
    I think so too, Derrick. Should be a release worth waiting for.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  6. #6
    Waterfall Puncher Derrick King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sklarbro Country
    Posts
    1,944
    I wonder is this the big mystery title that everyone thought was SUSPIRIA, or is this one of the two (or was it three) titles that Don was hinting at on the Code Red fans group on facebook?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm definitely in for a Blu-ray, especially if it contains the shorter US cut
    This I didn't know about. Is it significantly different?

  8. #8
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    You burned the fucking money!
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    This I didn't know about. Is it significantly different?
    A fair bit. This was the first version of the film I saw, after a friend of mine went on holiday to New York and brought back with him (to the UK) a copy of the US tape. It's about 12 minutes shorter and eliminates quite a bit of key material - including Betty's final voiceover. The cuts are listed here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=530481
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lalala76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,904
    Apart from the inspector being redubbed with an American accent, what else has been altered on the re-dub? I tried to do a comparison tonight but everyone else seemed to have the same dodgy accents on both. everywhere I read about the two dubs, they mention about the dodgy Cannes dub, but they never provide any comparisons. Does anyone know?

  10. #10
    Scholar of Sleaze Paul L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    You burned the fucking money!
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    Apart from the inspector being redubbed with an American accent, what else has been altered on the re-dub? I tried to do a comparison tonight but everyone else seemed to have the same dodgy accents on both. everywhere I read about the two dubs, they mention about the dodgy Cannes dub, but they never provide any comparisons. Does anyone know?
    I do believe the sole difference is the voice of the inspector.

    Of the two, I prefer the Cannes dub; but for my money, the film plays out best in Italian (the final scene has a third person narrator rather than Betty's narration, for example) - but none of the releases that include the Italian track have 'proper' subtitles, as I recall: they're all 'dubtitles'.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

    http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM
  2. X-Rated Releasing Argento's Phantom Of The Opera
    By Ian Jane in forum Euro Cult
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2016, 12:30 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 12:22 AM
  4. Arrow Releasing Argento's Tenebrae... again.
    By Ian Jane in forum Euro Cult
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 12:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •