Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is Releasing Argento's Opera on Blu-ray?

Which English dub, though?

Quote Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
    Which English dub, though?
    Its the English dub that has the Posh voice (in other words the one that everyone doesn't like)

So in a sheer moment of Madness after being waiting an eternity for someone just anyone to release Opera on blu-ray I hit the buy now button. This is probably the most expensive blu-ray I have ever bought (including shipping) knowing that it has had some pretty shite reviews. Why I did it is anyones guess. I watched it tonight, and my overall opinion is that Its not the travesty that everyone is talking about but neither is it worthy of forking out the money that its being sold for. The PQ is for the most part quite good, although some scenes look no real improvement over the dvd. Its a clear picture, more defined than the dvd with no dirt, scratches or debris and the screencaps are probably a true reflection on the way it looks. The real problem here is, like everyone says is the audio. Initially the hiss is quite low in the mix and to be honest I didn't find it that distracting, but then randomly it seems to get louder. Its when the film hits around the 1 hour mark, during the scene in the apartment when suddenly the hiss becomes really annoying, and continues for quite some time.

I'm not hugely disappointed because my expectations had been significantly lowered by all the negative feedback anyway. It was nice watching it in HD, its just that I'm sure it can look even better in the right hands, and If you can get past that hiss its perfectly watchable. I wouldn't recommend spending the money on it though. The Arrow dvd I own too is probably the better viewing experience (and not just because it doesn't have the hiss), but I still find both the English dubs annoying for the most part so the Italian track with subs is preferable. I still will watch the blu-ray now I own it, then will probably sell it when/if it gets a Uk or US release. And pigs might fly!!!
    Last edited by Lalala76; 08-01-2014 at 06:48 PM.

So now that you have it, which Eng. dub does it have?
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    So now that you have it, which Eng. dub does it have?
    Uh. I've already said in the post above my own. Its the Dub that got laughed at ie Where the Inspectors voice is dubbed with that awful English accent and not the redubbed American.

I don't mind the pre-Cannes dub, to be honest, though I think the film works far better in Italian and I'd love to see a release with the Italian track and proper English subtitles (not the dubtitles that appeared on both of Arrow's releases).
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I prefer the pre-Cannes dub.

Quote Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
    I prefer the pre-Cannes dub.
    I'm not alone, then, Ben
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm not alone, then, Ben
    To be honest, It really doesn't bother me either way as both dubs are particularly bad in parts, not just the Inspector. What grinds me the most is the dubbing of the neighbours little girl which sounds awful on both dubs as well as some of the secondary characters. The only characters voices that sound better in English are both the lead character and the Director of the opera. Short of redubbing the whole thing then it is something that I just accept. The post Cannes dub also has some weird echo effect on the Arrow dvd I have, not too sure if that was the same on the US discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalala76 View Post
    To be honest, It really doesn't bother me either way as both dubs are particularly bad in parts, not just the Inspector.
    Yes, although out of the two English dubs I have a preference for the pre-Cannes dub, I agree that both English dubs have their problems. The Italian version works much better, I think.