Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the ELVIS PRESLEY appreciation thread

the ELVIS PRESLEY appreciation thread

ELVIS AT STAX: DELUXE EDITON chronicles the 40th Anniversary of Elvis' historic hometown studio sessions of July and December 1973.

Deluxe 3-CD Box Set marks the first gathering of 28 masters and 27 outtakes in one comprehensive package.

The r & b & c sessions Elvis recorded at Stax between tour dates in 1973 were spaced out over several albums (including Good Times, Promised Land, Raised On Rock among others) and singles. Now all the songs are collected for the first time all in one set.

Memphis music, out of rockabilly via Sun through shantytown to rock & roll.

Name:  Elvis-Staxx.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  Elvis-Staxx-reverse.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  88.5 KB

Listen to samples:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

A previous, single-disc release dipped into the same session tapes. It offers some alternative material. It's oop and getting pricey:

Name:  Elvis-Staxx-previous.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  38.1 KB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

This looks like a good set. I've got a few of the Legacy Edition re-issues that came out a year or two ago. All are 2 disc sets with great bonus tracks and comprehensive liner notes.

Elvis Presley: Legacy Edition

Elvis: On Stage

Elvis Is Back!

Elvis Country

From Elvis in Memphis

I need to get the Aloha From Hawaii reissue and that Stax set too.

I'm definitely a fan.

Richard, have you ever been to Graceland? It's interesting to see. I took hundreds of pictures when Alison and I went about six years ago. As I'm sure you know it's as much an archive of his 'stuff' as it is tour of just his home and grounds. The hall with all of the costumes in it was amazing and I'm not ashamed in the least to admit that I teared up a bit at the grave site.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Listened to that Stax collection on Spotify yesterday afternoon while doing some work, good stuff. That cover of Honky Tonk Angels is excellent.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

You should dig out the pictures and post them here, Ian. Lately I've been thinking about making a trip to Graceland. I will one of these days. It's become a must. For a long time I just wanted to know what Elvis was about, musically. Not what the fan base or the phenomena were about, but Elvis himself, what the music was about with him. I mean, I'd seen some of his films and had been passing by his records all my life. He used to be on the radio all the time. I had two chances to see him in concert and stupidly passed both times -- once in Uniondale, L.I. and later in San Diego. So I started blind-buying the CD's and bootlegs of unreleased stuff. I bought a couple of chronologies and discographies to put the CD's into perspective. I found out what I wanted to know and ended up liking Elvis Presley and respecting his art. I also read the two-part biography by Peter Guralnick, The Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love which really put things into perspective. That's how biographies should be written. Reconstruction and observation with some analysis but no judgment. Seriously good thinking and writing. Guralnick deserved all the praise and awards he received. Anyhow, I come out of it really digging the music. Listened to all the other Sun recordings as well, Perkins, Cash and everybody who came out of that time and place. Rockabilly music is long gone but it still has the power to stir the blood, if you know what I mean. If you haven't heard it before, it's still new.

I'll post some pictures, sure. It's worth the visit. It's an odd place and if offers a fairly intimate look into his lifestyle.

My dad was a fan so growing up if Elvis was on the radio in the car or something, it got turned up. I kind of drifted away from that until I got more into punk rock in my teenage years, at which point drifting back towards old classic rockabilly material was basically a given. I blame The Cramps. I even like a good amount of Elvis' later material though, the more loungey stuff. The guy just had a great voice.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Name:  BoyFrom Tupelo.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  52.4 KB

A BOY FROM TUPELO is a combination coffee-table book and 3-CD documenting Elvis Presley's performances and recordings between 1953 and 1955, when he was still a rockabilly punk. Discs 1 and 2 organize Elvis' Sun recordings. It is the most comprehensive collection, and it even includes entire song sessions as well as alternative sources for songs. There are other Sun collections (SUNRISE in particular) but not like this. Disc 3 consists of some live concert appearances, a couple of radio interviews, and the most comprehensive collection of performances by Elvis at the Louisiana Hayride. The accompanying oversized 450-page hardcover book boasts mostly unpublished photographs, including many that the author gathered from the musicians themselves.

The project was done by Ernst Mikael Jørgensen for Follow That Dream (FTD), Graceland's bootleg label. Ernst Mikael Jørgensen is a discographer from I think Sweden who produced the Elvis Presley catalog reissues, restorations, and hitherto unreleased material for BMG when they bought RCA. He also published a couple of books about Elvis in addition to producing dozens of specialized Elvis CD's for fanclubs and FTD.

A BOY FROM TUPELO is the definitive Elvis Presley document of 1953-55. It also touches on the formation of rockabilly into rock & roll music.

I want it.

Guess what?

You can't buy it.

It was a limited edition made only for those in a small circle of elite friends and invited subscribers.

Ian, check out Graceland's bootleg label 'Follow That Dream':

http://www.shopelvis.com/Dept.aspx?c...8&sort=&page=0

Previously released material upgraded for sound and supplemented with unreleased studio recordings and full-length concerts. Some great stuff. Those late 70s concerts are really something -- Elvis would perform 30 songs in 30 minutes plus find time to chat with the audience.

Thanks Richard, I'll give those links a look. That Boy From Tupelo set sounds tempting.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!