Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 88 Films Releasing Alice, Sweet Alice In 2014

EvilJames@ Bluray sez
    Having watched thorough my copy of the Blu-Ray this morning, and compared it side by side with the DVD, I thought I'd update on how it matches up to the VHS and DVD. Full disclosure - I donated the TV spot and compiled the poster gallery for the disc, so I understand if anyone subsequently accuses me of being biased when endorsing the disc. Needless to say, I was happily impressed, and while there's certainly room for improvement if Warner ever releases their OCN restoration, I think this is a fine stopgap and shits all over any other video transfer of the film released so far. Some notes:

The print used for this release is actually from its 1981 re-release as Holy Terror, complete with alternate opening credits that prioritise Brooke Shields above the other cast members. (There's also a text card after the opening credits spelling out the date and location which isn't in any other version.) Despite reports that the Holy Terror version was missing 10 minutes out of the middle of the film in cinemas, this Blu-Ray is completely uncut, running 106 mins 52 seconds. Comparing against speed-adjusted copies of the Communion VHS and 88's earlier DVD, I noticed there appears to be a handful of shots missing a few frames at the start and end of shots here and there, but nothing anyone would miss or notice (they probably add up to about a second in total). Also it should be noticed that this print restores a few seconds of footage missing from the DVD master: a shot of the undertaker at Karen's funeral whispering in Catherine's ear; the priest exiting his house and saying "Tom"; and the fade to black as the camera pans down the church following Tom's murder. Again, nothing essential, but it's nice to have them restored all the same.

In terms of what's missing compared to the DVD: the end credits on the Blu-Ray don't have any music as per the original theatrical release, though the music restored for the laserdisc and DVD is still heard at the end of the commentary track. It's a shame it wasn't included on the main feature audio, but certainly you could argue it's "authentic" given it was silent on every theatrical and video release prior to the laserdisc/DVD masters. In terms of extras, the original stills gallery is not carried over, and there's no presence of the original Communion or Alice Sweet Alice opening credits, which again is a shame if you're a ridiculous completest like me. (My fantasy special edition of this film would have seamless branching options to watch the film with any of the title sequences, including the rarer The Mask Murders title.) But it would be churlish to argue against the strengths of this release on that basis, especially as the commentary is included which is certainly the most essential of those early extras.

According to this interview with Dante Tomaselli, Arrow is going to be releasing Alice, Sweet Alice.

A young Brooke Shields meets an untimely end in this religious-themed proto slasher par excellence from director Alfred Sole.

On the day of her first communion, young Karen (Brooke Shields) is savagely murdered by an unknown assailant in a yellow rain mac and creepy translucent mask. But the nightmare is far from over – as the knife-wielding maniac strikes again and again, Karen’s bereaved parents are forced to confront the possibility that Karen’s wayward sister Alice might be the one behind the mask.

Bearing influences from the likes of Hitchcock, the then-booming Italian giallo film and more specifically, Nicolas Roeg’s Don’t Look Now, Alice, Sweet Alice is an absolutely essential – if often overlooked – entry in the canon of 1970s American horror.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 2K restoration of the theatrical version from the original camera negative
    High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    Original uncompressed mono audio
    Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    Brand new audio commentary with Richard Harland Smith
    Archival audio commentary with co-writer/director Alfred Sole and editor Edward Salier
    First Communion: Alfred Sole Remembers Alice, Sweet Alice – director Alfred Sole looks back on his 1976 classic
    In the Name of the Father – brand new interview with actor Niles McMaster
    Sweet Memories: Dante Tomaselli on Alice, Sweet Alice – filmmaker Dante Tomaselli, cousin of Alfred Sole, discusses his longtime connection to the film
    Lost Childhood: The Locations of Alice, Sweet Alice – a tour of the original Alice Sweet Alice shooting locations hosted by author Michael Gingold
    Alternate Holy Terror Television Cut
    Deleted scene
    Alternate Opening Titles
    Trailer and TV Spot
    Original screenplay
    Image gallery

Name:  ALICE_SWEET_ALICE_FLAT_US.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  36.8 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Uh oh, looks like the Arrow release is either cancelled or delayed It is no longer listed on the Arrow Films section of MVD's site. The page for it is still accessible but it shows the format as "ON HOLD BLUE RAY."

Name:  EAFWi4EX4AELOpH.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  81.3 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!