Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Synapse Films Releasing Argento's Suspiria

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    Basically, they just need to show these to Argento and let him decide. Even then that wouldn't satisfy some people. Never understood why people on certain other forums have to take sides on these matters like they're supporting a political party, any of these look better than the shitty vhs I first saw many years ago. If people prefer the look of one version over another then great. We all have settings on our TVs that we can tweak to get the desired personal effect. As to people who claim they saw a film on its first run and remember the exact look I am highly suspicious, and I doubt all prints over the world looked the same, there are so many factors at play that can be unique to each print/projector. Some of these armchair experts just need to shut the fuck up, they read a few editions of Video Watchdog and they think that they're Tim Lucas (only more arrogant). When watching films just becomes a technical exercise, they need to get a new hobby. Personally I just watch them for entertainment. I agree with Mark, thank Christ RSP isn't populated by zealots!
    Agreed. I post over there on occasion, but between the experts who know what every film ever should look like and the constant wishlisting, it gets tiresome. R!S!P! for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    I remember an interview with Bill Lustig where he said Argento really doesn't have anything to do with the transfer process and that once he's done with post-production on a film, he's totally done with it and won't go back, even for DVD releases. He'll do interviews but that's about it. This was a few years ago so maybe he's changed his mind on such matters. But your right, people would still bitch.
    I think filmmakers are generally going to care a lot less than the boffins. The thing is it's going to look different every single time it's screened and you just live with that. I have 3 monitors sitting in front of me, one calibrated and pricey and the other two that are just pieces of junk. Those caps look completely different on all of them. On one the Italian release looks better and on the other two (one of which is the calibrated monitor) I largely prefer the Synapse. That said, if I was a betting man I'd say that the Italian release has been pushed much too far to green. But it's not like Arrows absurd Female Convict Scorpion set so hard to get excited about.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    I remember an interview with Bill Lustig where he said Argento really doesn't have anything to do with the transfer process and that once he's done with post-production on a film, he's totally done with it and won't go back, even for DVD releases. He'll do interviews but that's about it. This was a few years ago so maybe he's changed his mind on such matters. But your right, people would still bitch.
    I'd put more stock in what Luciano Tovoli says about the film, to be honest ( ), but regardless of who they come from memories of a 40 year old project can still be faulty.

I remember seeing a vintage 35mm print of SUSPIRIA in the 1990s but I'll be damned if I remember if the skin tones throughout the picture were a naturalistic hue or not, or whether the sky was a naturalistic blue. I've got a photographic memory but it's not that damned good
    Last edited by Paul L; 03-09-2017 at 03:07 AM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D View Post
    The thing is it's going to look different every single time it's screened and you just live with that.
    True, and it's worth remembering that in the halcyon days of analogue film, an individual film could look look different every time it was screened - there was variance in and between individual prints, and the colour cast could be different in one screening room as compared with another owing to the type/age of the bulb in the projector. The notion that there's a one hundred per cent 'standard' presentation seems like a retrograde application of a concept of the digital era (where reproductions are identical to the original) than an acknowledgment of the variance in analogue processes.

In WORLD OF HORROR, Tovoli talks about photographing SUSPIRIA as being a process of 'eliminating' one colour or another from certain scenes as a means of giving the film a distinctive look. Certainly, it wasn't a naturalistic aesthetic that he was going for. (Barring direct access to an archival print, a more potentially accurate way of ascertaining whether the sky should be blue or slightly green, for example, would be to look at the qualities of the specific stock used for a certain scene and the lighting conditions in which that specific scene was shot.)
    Last edited by Paul L; 03-09-2017 at 03:46 AM.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

These are fun to look at...caps has the German Blu and the Italian ( plus a few more.
    Synapse seems far more in line with the German disc.
    http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1...d2=4996&c=2036

German disc producer has some good thoughts about the different colors various release sport.
    Blu ray ain't all bad
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=609

An Andalusian Dog enandalusiskhund's Avatar
    The Synapse looks awesome, as expected. Dunno if I can stomach the price though, as the Italian looks good too. My experience is that colour timing really doesn't matter all that much when you're sitting and watching the film, unless it's completely off. Or let me rephrase: of course the timing matters, but it's easy to get worked up when you see two screenshots side by side like this, but when you're watching the film it'll still look like Suspiria regardless if it's the superior Synapse or the IT disc (which also looks good).
    Looking for Orozco the Embalmer (Camera Obscura) and the Swedish theatrical poster of Breaking Point (Vibenius/"Ron Silberman Jr.", 1975).

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    If those Synapse colors are wrong, I don't want to be right.
    LOL, that was my first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    My experience is that colour timing really doesn't matter all that much when you're sitting and watching the film, unless it's completely off.
    Without an objective reference, it's near impossible to tell what's 'off' (or what's 'on', for that matter) I bought the Italian disc and I'm happy with it; it's by far the best presentation of the film I've seen and owned (from VHS, through the Japanese LaserDisc and on to DVD - the UK DVD first, then the 3-disc Anchor Bay release - and previous Blu-ray releases). It's a much better presentation than the naysayers might suggest, though it's got a funky encode which affects the structure of the film. I'll be getting the Synapse disc too though and will make up my mind which I prefer once I've seen it. I've only glanced at the Blu-ray.com thread linked above, but the partisanship in that thread makes my head hurt and feels as constructive as playground politics.

Leaving the issue of film's use of colour aside, one of the interesting things about the Italian disc, however, is that the English subtitles seem to be a translation of the Italian dialogue, with Suzy Banyon referred to as 'Suzy Benner' (as per the Italian dialogue) throughout. When I watched the Italian disc on Monday, I watched it with the Italian language track, and the mixing of that track is quite different to the English mix - the agonal gasps of Pat in the opening murder sequence are much louder than the music, for example, whereas in the English language track those gasps have always been drowned out to some extend by the music. Regardless of the fact that English seems to have been the dominant language used on set during the production, the balance of music and effects in the Italian sound mix is more effective (in my opinion, of course) - as is the case with a number of Argento's films, including PHENOMENA (again, in my opinion).
    Last edited by Paul L; 03-09-2017 at 12:34 PM.

For some reason the screencaps Synapse posted of the Italian disc don't look quite right. The Italian transfer to my eyes at least looked a lot more vibrant than is portrayed here, certainly in motion. Reds are Red and the colours really pop.

If you're using Firefox or Chrome then they actually might not look right. Applies to the Synapse images as well. The images seem to have sRBG color profile embedded and Firefox and Chrome react to it. I don't know about the latest version of Internet Explorer but at least version 8 does not react to the color profiles. My Windows photo viewer shows the images like Firefox (but it might not be the regular way the program works, because of.. reasons..) but in slide mode it shows the images similar to IE.

It's not that the browsers handle the images incorrectly, they just display them like the color profile says they should be shown and there might be some windows color profile or monitor drivers/profile messing with it as well making it not appear correctly after all.

So you could try viewing it in both Firefox/Chrome and IE and see if it looks different. Or you can disable the color profile thing from Firefox (go to about:config then find gfx.color_management.mode and change the value to 0 and restart the browser).
    Or you could save the image and see what it looks like in Windows photo viewer (like I said, mine might be messed up). Or Microsoft's old Paint (not sure what Windows version still have it, at least 7 does) which will show the colors correctly.

Of course your monitor and windows might have been configured to use certain color profiles or something so who knows how it looks on your end.

I guess this could be one of the reasons why many people think screenshots don't accurately reflect the actual colors on the disc. If the screenshot is properly taken it looks just like that same frame looks on the disc. Watch them on same screen and they are identical. (well, should be... but if you're watching on computer then for example the software player could do something to the video depending on settings... or some graphics cards automatically did some noise reduction that you couldn't disable and didn't even know was happening)
    Last edited by Sundance; 03-11-2017 at 06:20 AM.