Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Synapse Films Releasing Argento's Suspiria

From FB:

"In light of all the discussion, etc. regarding SUSPIRIA and our announcement last year that we were trying to get a 2K scan of original materials, I've decided to give you all a quick update. It's been a long, very hard, road to get where we are today with this project but this picture speaks much louder than any words (from us, or from those who think they know all there is to know about us) right now. More info to come soon enough, but we're ready to knock your socks off in 2015."

Name:  10590547_880006742027332_3459257932010096214_n.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  64.6 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

In regards to Italian lab scanner noise weird transfer issues...

"we did this in conjunction with Technicolor Rome and Technicolor LA... It was never in the hands of that "other" Italian lab."

"Right now, my goal is to analyze the 4K scan files, get them QC'd, assembled, base corrected and see how much restoration may be necessary on the neg, since it hasn't really been touched in a while. Technicolor was pleased with the results, but I have to have a look myself as soon as possible... I'm excited to get started. This is going to be the project of my lifetime, I think. My bucket list movie. I havent been this excited since doing NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE."

More details likely to come in the following months once Don dives into this.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

4k scan, FUCK YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Marc Morris just posted this on FB:

Translation:
    Suspiria trailer comparison between DVD D 2005 Blu-ray IT 2009, HD Master D 2014
    This trailer compares the old German DVD, the Italian Blu-ray and the new German HD master from '84.
    This is only a first rough comparison, which can not reproduce the full result on online video platforms by the compression and technical limitations.
    Consider this please as first little sneak preview, not as a basis for comparative discussions on the final image.
    The German HD-MASTER looks a lot better than the Italian blu-ray but I still see clipping in a couple of places -

What's clipping mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Brooks View Post
    What's clipping mean?
    Clipping in video means that the white levels are "too hot" or going over the available range limit making the brightest spots (highlights) in the image lose details. This happens when colorists try to improve contrast or push the image too far in order to bring out colors and saturation. If you are not careful some portions of an image can become really nasty. This is what happened with the italian transfer. Note that this can happen in the darker areas too (Black Clipping or "crushing the blacks") and you will lose shadow detail. Film has beautiful dynamic range and is full of beautiful tonal and color information - All you need is someone with experience who really cares and love the material. I think Synapse will do it right. This HD-Master looks better than the Italian transfer but it still looks like someone had a little too much fun playing with the images..

That German release is using the same master as all the other releases, so they will not be able to undo all of the mistakes. Only the Synapse release will be from the new 4k master.

Thanks Marv.

Vincent Pereira posted the following comment at Michael Mackenzie's blog in response to a question about Synapse's having the access/including SUSPIRIA's original 4-track mix

They will have access to the excellent-quality 4-track mag stereo IB Technicolor print held by the Library of Congress.