Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrow Releasing The Films Of Walerian Borowczyk On Blu-ray

Arrow Releasing The Films Of Walerian Borowczyk On Blu-ray

From Blu-ray.com:

"Independent British distributors Arrow Video have revealed that they are preparing a box set of films directed by Polish filmmaker Walerian Borowczyk. The box set is to be released as part of the Arrow Academy series in Spring 2014.

The box set will contain new restorations of Contes immoraux (Immoral Tales, 1974) and La Bête (The Beast, 1975), as well as five more short films.

Acclaimed director Terry Gilliam is also fronting a Kickstarter campaign to restore Borowczyk's classic 1968 film Goto, l'île d'amour (Goto, Island of Love). Speaking about the Polish artist and filmmaker's work Gilliam noted: "They activate a part of my brain that very few other things do…I haven't seen any of these films in probably thirty or forty years, but they all have stuck with me. He needs to be restored and the world needs to be reminded."

Until now the majority of Borowczyk's early films have been unavailable. However, earlier this year writer, documentary filmmaker and producer of the upcoming box set Daniel Bird secured the permission of his widow Ligia Borowczyk to restore nine short films and two feature films, including Le théâtre de Monsieur & Madame Kabal (The Theatre of Mr and Mrs Kabal, 1967) and Blanche (1971).

The restorations were completed at Deluxe laboratories, London, under the supervision of leading film restorer James White. This will be the first time that many of these films will be available in any home video format in any territory.

Born in Poland in 1923, where he studied painting and sculpture before establishing himself as a poster artist during the late 1950s, Borowczyk emigrated to France in 1959 where he lived and worked for the rest of his life. With films such as Renaissance (1963) and Rosalie (1966), Borowczyk played a major part in getting animated film recognized as a serious art form."
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looking forward to these. I just wish someone would release DR JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES on DVD or, better yet, Blu. That film's sorely missed on digital home video.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

This news made my day. I await this Borowczyk bonanza with bated breath. Such a shame that DR. JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES is going to be MIA. Has anyone told the rights holders to it that they have lost a ton of money to grey market dealers? That alone should tell them that there is a market for this title.

I think they get that there is a market for DR. JEYKLL, which is why they are trying to use it to license a bunch of less desirable titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick King View Post
    I think they get that there is a market for DR. JEYKLL, which is why they are trying to use it to license a bunch of less desirable titles.
    Over the years, I've heard stories about DR JEKYLL ET LES FEMMES being held ransom in this way. I wonder what some of the other titles are.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Here's the link for Terry Gilliam's kickstarter campaign to get Goto restored.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Looks like Arrow have set up a blog covering their work on this set...

http://borowczykcollection.blogspot.co.uk/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I really don't think I'm exaggerating when I call this release historic and its not just because I'm a Boro fanatic. Set aside the fact that the films are restored, just the fact that the shorts are finally getting an official home video release is monumental in itself (major thanks are in order to Mrs. Borowczyk!) Also considering who's involved with the project, its in good hands.
    Vortice Mortale - The Lost Highway of Horror and Cult Film

Latest post: Tricked (Paul Verhoeven, 2012)

They hit their goal with 29 more days to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...2/restore-goto
    Rock! Shock! Pop!