Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarantino's New Western Is THE HATEFUL EIGHT

Yeah, Menke I think was a person who could tell him No.

To all those directors out there, I am available as a "no"-man.

So, late to the party like usual, but I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. I went into it knowing very little about the actual plot and wound up pretty impressed. All of the performances were great. Russell is the man but Jackson was also fantastic, JJL too. Everyone was really, really good. I didn't feel Tarantino overdid it with the dialogue like I do with most of his films and felt that he did a great job with the direction, bringing the tension up considerably in the last half really nicely. It's also a gorgeous looking movie. I kinda wish more stuff was done for the 70mm format lately. I bet this looked phenomenal on the big screen.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The expanded/roadshow version of Hateful Eight hits Netflix April 25th.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Jesus, even longer?!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

I think that the roadshow version just had an intermission, didn't it? Anyway, count me in in case I haven't said it here, this one, like Django Unchained, needed serious editing. Samuel L. Jackson's dicksucking speech was idiotic, as was Tarantino's narration regarding the poison. I guess we'll see if he learned anything when Once Upon A Time in Hollywood comes out, but something tells me it'll clock in at some ridiculous running time.

Tarantino is much like Spielberg in that they achieved great things when they were young and working with strict limitations, but those successes led to them no longer being limited, and therefore not as driven or creative, and floundering artistically, but being such established brands that they just don’t fail like their work deserves to.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Tarantino is much like Spielberg in that they achieved great things when they were young and working with strict limitations, but those successes led to them no longer being limited, and therefore not as driven or creative, and floundering artistically, but being such established brands that they just don’t fail like their work deserves to.
    or.....they need editors to tell them no. :D

I agree with you. If you think, ripoff aside, about how effective RESERVOIR DOGS is on a shoestring budget, vs something like DJANGO UNCHAINED; I'd like to see Tarantino try something along the lines of JACKIE BROWN again. Adapted from somebody else's writing, mild expansion on the dialogue, but pretty true to form. Gets to bring in people like Pam Grier and pump some money into making it look good, but doesn't have the chance to make it six hours long. I know it's fashionable to trash Tarantino, but the last of his films that I really fully enjoyed, start to finish, was actually Jackie Brown, and that was over 20 years ago now. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS had some amazing scenes; hell, the entire opening of the film; but then fell into flash territory like Django and HATEFUL EIGHT. I can't take the guy seriously as a film maker when he lets solid work slide into "entertaining as FUCK!" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    or.....they need editors to tell them no. :D

I agree with you. If you think, ripoff aside, about how effective RESERVOIR DOGS is on a shoestring budget, vs something like DJANGO UNCHAINED; I'd like to see Tarantino try something along the lines of JACKIE BROWN again. Adapted from somebody else's writing, mild expansion on the dialogue, but pretty true to form. Gets to bring in people like Pam Grier and pump some money into making it look good, but doesn't have the chance to make it six hours long.
    On that line, I'd like to see him work on a George V Higgins adaptation - IMPOSTORS or THE DIGGER'S GAME, for example.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    On that line, I'd like to see him work on a George V Higgins adaptation - IMPOSTORS or THE DIGGER'S GAME, for example.
    Yep, stay in that crimey area, and he'll do fine.