Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching TRUE DETECTIVE

Anyone watching TRUE DETECTIVE

..all the Facebook shnooks are going on about it, so I decided to give it a shot. You got America's two favourite intellectual rednecks, Woody Harelson and Matthew McConaughey playing detectives in
    Lousiana hunting a satanic serial killer. It has a very gothicy, Red Riding /David Fincher style about it. also feels like a Vertigo comic. Not substantially fresh about it, so I don't understand the hype yet..

SO far it's OK, I guess, any other takers?

I've been watching give it a big thumbs up. I agree that it starts out solid if unremarkable, but it quickly comes into it's own as it progresses.

Slightly spoilery comments follow: [Episode 4 features an excellent drug heist scene that is done in one continuous 6 minute take. And in the fifth episode the plot takes a nice turn and takes things off in a different direction that potentially changes the perspective on what has come before.]

I dig the atmosphere (less Seven and more Justified) and pacing and there is a also a Lovecraftian undercurrent that steadily reveals itself without anything overtly supernatural going on. I recommend sticking with it if the first episode doesn't quite grab you.

I've watched the first episode, and I'd like to see more.

I saw the first 3 episodes but I just couldn't get into it. Woody and McConaughey are both very fine in their roles, but the tempo is attrocious and to be quite honest it really is a staple of cop-show and serial-killer film cliches they are trying to pass off as "new and cool" which really doesn't work for me.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

I really enjoy the deliberate pacing and atmosphere, and like I said, there is a shift in gears in the 4th and 5th episodes. However, if you are not digging the show much by episode 3 I don't know if it will be enough to sell you on the rest of the series.

I've been watching all the episodes so far, and I have to say that the pacing is my main beef with the show. It feels to me like it was a 150 minute movie that they decided to push to a series. The acting is good, and I like most of the plot points, but it feels like there is so much unnecessary filler with Harrelson's story that it's never going to pay off big enough for how much time is spent on it.

Am loving the slow burn.

And I'd give more props to Lynch & Twin Peaks for its inspiration than I'd ever give to the likes of that hack Fincher.
    It's not going to suck itself...

I just started watching it. Two episodes in and yeah its slow, but like Nolando I dig that mostly. Not a fan of flashback movies and shows, but they are piecing together pretty well. I like that they elude to something that happened in the past too, and that they keep building to it. I cant wait to see the blow out they must certainly have with each other. I could do without the adultery stuff though, and I hope that it serves a purpose.

Loved this series. My wife and I crushed all 8 episodes in about two sittings. Can't wait for Season 2.
    Last edited by Christian Bates-Hardy; 03-17-2014 at 02:31 AM.

I really liked the look and feel of it, and the acting was great. I did feel that the story was somewhat lacking, though...by the end of it, I didn't feel like there were any crazy revelations that validated the 7 previous hours.

Still better than most of what's on TV, though.