Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Duper Alice Cooper

Glad I could save somebody else by taking the bullet, haha. Yeah, I'm glad that I saw it...there was no way that I wasn't going to....but I definitely regret that blind buy.

50% of the interviews seem prewritten and read (in the beginning). Were there no cameras? I like the old footage and the 3-D type action on them (to a point), and the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Lon Chaney Dr. Jekyll clips, but I'd rather see people talking during their interviews.

I had pre-ordered it, so I didn't have the benefit of Tolch's review, but, to be honest, it wouldn't have swayed me. My Cooper fandom is very recent (five or six years, I guess), so I'm down for all the info, 'cause I'm new. However, had I known all these facts and been there and back, like Tolch and KRod, I could see the disappointment. Having seen "RUSH - Beyond the Lighted Stage," I'm amazed at the lack of depth the crew put into this one. The pics are awesome, but, it gets tired. Show me Alice talking or whichever dude it is talking. I want to see the old man version of this guy. Compared to RUSH, this is SO LIGHT. It's narrative over pics. It'd be awesome to see scenes similar to those of Geddy and Alex looking for the church where they played their first gig or the scene in the breakfast place, anything like that. Having seen it, I can totally see Mark's complaint about this skipping a lot, and it's a bummer. This one is fun, but quick and plain.

I did love the line, "Detroit was the antithesis of L.A., they were out for blood." Made me think of this:

Anyway, I liked it a lot, but I knew very little of the Coop other than the tunes, so it's almost all new to me. Good to see his shit life period and know he's now out of it and now a great radio host (that isn't afraid to play his own tunes). I think, though, this production company is getting comfortable with this style, did a bit too much of it on this one, and will hopefully go back to basics on further docs. This was style over substance, where as RUSH is the perfect blend.

PS, of sorts: Some LA concert: I like the clip of the kid saying he's a perfectly normal guy that likes Alice Cooper. I will bet you 600:1, dollars to donuts, that that kid is TRIPPING HIS BALLS OFF. Lucky bastard.

It's a disjointed review brought to you by Jim Beam, Pabst, Franzia, and Borkum Riff.

Super Duper is not on Netflix yet so I don't know when I will get around to seeing it. But now I'm watching Lighted Stage to console myself. Good stuff so far...

Also, I found this interview with Dick Wagner a few weeks back. It has some cool info on the recording of DaDa. The interview starts at about 7 minutes into the podcast.

http://www.dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/2...wagner-ep.html

Sad t hear this doc isnt up to scratch.

If the guys other docs were good, makes you wonder what went wrong with this one....Lack of material to use?...

Glad to see this thread back up, there were a couple of other things I wanted to mention.

first off, Prime Cuts is still the best documentary of Alice, IMO, it's fun and moves quickly, with lots of interviews (some of the ones that you see in SDAC, as a matter of fact), and covers a lot of ground. A few years back, i ripped all of the interview footage off of the second disc of Prime Cuts, you previously had to play some stupid board game to access them. I think that if you have Prime Cuts, Good To See You Alice Cooper, and the interview disc from the Old School box set, you've got everything you need. The only thing that SDAC really has going for it that none of the others do is the coked-out Alice section. Alice had pretty much denied drug addiction in the past, putting it all down to alcohol...but come on, Special Forces??? DaDa? that's not the alcohol talking.

The two things I wanted to address in this are the origin of the name of the band, and the recording of Dwight Frye. SDAC recycles the myth of the ouija board origination, though Alice has refuted this many times in the past, saying that the band were spitting out names, and Alice Cooper sounded like Baby Jane or Lizzie Borden. Secondly, in SDAC they mention that Dwight Frye was recorded with Alice in a straight jacket, while Shep and Bob Ezrin have both said in past interviews that they put him on the floor laying down with chairs stacked around him so he couldn't move.

Fanboy critique, i know, but the origin of the name, especially, should have more importance placed on it.

The biggest disappointment for me is seeing what Sam Dunn has accomplished in the past, and expecting the level of awesomeness we got from Flight 666 and the Metal documentaries.

Glad you sort of enjoyed it, dude.

Revisionist history is very annoying.

On a different tangent, Dynamite announced a new Alice Cooper comic is on the way as well as a deluxe reprint of The Last Temptation comic.

Name:  aliceoopercomic-small.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  6.3 KB

"In Alice Cooper #1, rock n' roll legend Alice Cooper was never a stranger to the mystic and the macabre. His stage shows were the stuff of legend, featuring snakes, pyrotechnics, and the invocation of dark themes and darker forces. But while he was a legend in the waking world, few knew his role as "The Lord of Nightmares" beyond it, where he watched over us while we dreamed, and delivered horrors unto the deserving. Only, someone took it all away from him, cast him out of his realm and locked him away... until now. And if he's going to reclaim his dark throne, he's going to need all the help he can get!
    "We're doing cool things with Dynamite," Cooper said. "I always say that the best thing about being in a comic book is that they draw you with great abs! Artistically, for me there is hardly a better medium. There is so much you can do in the form of a comic that we'd never been able to do on stage. It's just a different way of storytelling, and it really has almost limitless possibilities. We're looking forward to stretching the existing boundaries of the comic medium again. We have new stories to tell, but we'll do it with the same theatrical, sinister sensibility that comes with the name ‘Alice Cooper'. This is just the beginning! Welcome to my new Nightmares!"
    "Alice Cooper is one of the great, enduring rock personas, first and foremost," says writer Joe Harris. "Alice Cooper has a fantastic visual hook, as he made use of the signature eye black that defines his character. I hope they enjoy what they'll see as a fun take and interpretation on an iconic character."
    "Alice Cooper's on-stage persona, the ultimate shock rocker, is perfect for comic books," Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite, said. "From his comic book debut in Marvel Premiere to The Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman, I've enjoyed the appearances Alice has made in comics. We are excited to develop captivating and hypnotic comic storylines that incorporate the Sinister Showman's gothic flair and grandiose vision. This is going to be one hell of a ride!"
    Dynamite is also releasing a fully-remastered Deluxe Edition printing of Neil Gaiman's The Last Temptation, the groundbreaking graphic novel collaboration between the bestselling author and rock music icon Alice Cooper, with art by Michael Zulli. Neil Gaiman's The Last Temptation will also be offered as an advance solicited book as a special 20th Anniversary Edition. The book is scheduled for an October release. This commemorative edition will be available unsigned as well as signed by the entire creative team - Gaiman, the multiple award-winning author of Sandman, Coraline, and American Gods, alongside artist Michael Zulli, and the Sinister Showman himself, Alice Cooper!
    The new edition celebrates the 20th anniversary of the project, the first printing since its original Marvel run, presented in color, featuring Michael Zulli's art remastered by David Curiel at InLight Studios! This collection contains complete scripts to all three issues, plus Neil Gaiman's original outline and correspondence with Alice Cooper. Re-enter the world of the Grand Guignol and the Theatre of the Real as Dynamite celebrates the release of this classic series!"

Flattery and foreplay Ian Miller's Avatar
    Bah, I hope MVD does one of their semi-unauthorized docs, calls it BILLION DOLLAR BABIES: THE BAND THAT MADE THE MAN or something similar, and just interviews Bruce, Dunaway, and Smith, and with a running time of two hours. It may be shoddy and feel like a cash-in, but so what? I want to hear what these guys have to say! Meanwhile, there's a Shep Gordon doc coming out that might be interesting (though only a chunk of it will pertain to the Coop, of course).

I hear ya, Miller. As much as it pains me to say it...I don't need to hear what Alice has to say anymore. If the numerous interviews and Golf Monster have taught me anything, it's that the man has started to believe his own press a little much. Don't get me wrong, I love Alice....but when I watched a doc on Heavy Metal and all kinds of people attributed the first use of "Heavy Metal" to the Steppenwolf tune, and then to a Rolling Stone review, to hear Vincent Furnier come out and say, "The first time the term Heavy Metal was used, they were talking about Alice Cooper" Come, ON, man, you didn't invent everything.

Flattery and foreplay Ian Miller's Avatar
    I know what you mean, it was a tired line back in the PRIME CUTS era, but now it's just kind of OTT. Think of it this way, though: if there are distinct versions of the Alice character (drunken criminal, symbol of disaffected youth vs. in control super villain of today), maybe a third incarnation is Uncle Vince, the guy that's seen it all from the late 60's onward. Also, look at 60's pics of Zappa and tell me he didn't have the "rock villain" look down before anyone. You KNOW Rob Zombie had to have taken some inspiration from there as well.

We are in complete agreement. And as much as I love Alice....EVEN stuff off of Hey Stoopid...let's be honest, the man's genius had peaked in the 70's.