Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Duper Alice Cooper

Here's a rad picture of Alice Cooper being carried by a cyclops.

Name:  BqwDHMoCAAAF_Tp.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  59.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR sounds AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by sukebanboy View Post
    KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR sounds AWESOME!!

http://www.concertvault.com/#alice-c...e-17-1975.html

I finally caught the last 2/3rds of this on TV last weekend and was underwhelmed. The vintage footage was nice but frustrating in that I would have liked to have seen the full clips instead of just snippets. It was also frustrating in that it was really just a light bullet points version of the story. Plus I just finished reading Dennis Dunaway's book a few days before and some of the sound bites in the doc play differently when they are told out of full context or come across as half-truths when compared to Dunaway's version. For example, the helicopter panty drop at the Hollywood Bowl show sounds amazing in the doc, but as Dunaway tells it only a smattering of panties actually hit the target while the majority were caught by the wind and littered a nice chunk of the surrounding neighborhood instead.

I think that's typical of the difference between a well researched book and a documentary which has to rely more on oral history.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    I finally caught the last 2/3rds of this on TV last weekend and was underwhelmed. The vintage footage was nice but frustrating in that I would have liked to have seen the full clips instead of just snippets. It was also frustrating in that it was really just a light bullet points version of the story. Plus I just finished reading Dennis Dunaway's book a few days before and some of the sound bites in the doc play differently when they are told out of full context or come across as half-truths when compared to Dunaway's version. For example, the helicopter panty drop at the Hollywood Bowl show sounds amazing in the doc, but as Dunaway tells it only a smattering of panties actually hit the target while the majority were caught by the wind and littered a nice chunk of the surrounding neighborhood instead.
    I watched it a second time and it played a bit better this time around, I think mainly because Dunaway's book added some context for me. Still, it's not as thorough as it couldve been, for sure. Dennis' wife was the main designer of their stage clothing and gets NO mention....it all goes to the GTOs....but at the premiere, Alice had Cindy Dunaway stand up and said that if it wasnt for her, the band wouldn't have had their look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Miller View Post
    Bah, I hope MVD does one of their semi-unauthorized docs, calls it BILLION DOLLAR BABIES: THE BAND THAT MADE THE MAN or something similar, and just interviews Bruce, Dunaway, and Smith, and with a running time of two hours. It may be shoddy and feel like a cash-in, but so what? I want to hear what these guys have to say! Meanwhile, there's a Shep Gordon doc coming out that might be interesting (though only a chunk of it will pertain to the Coop, of course).
    SUPERMENSCH, the Shep documentary, was amazing.

Hey Mark, have you heard anything about the quality of the Montreal 1972 dvd that's included with the deluxe edition? I actually just asked Ian and Horace about this last night/this morning -- strange that this is all coming up suddenly. B)

From what ive heard, this was shot by the National Film Board of Canada for their Rock-a-bye series. Quality will probably be video-sourced, and i believe the original broadcasr featured clips of the songs. Apparently the DVD is only 35 minutes? So that's probably the case. Be cool to see, im sure.

Thanks. Sounds like it's best to hold out for another kind of release with it, then.