Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV shows you didn't realise you missed...

TV shows you didn't realise you missed...

Occasionally, I find myself pining for television shows that, when they were on air, I took for granted.

Recently, I found myself reflecting on some of the imported shows that used to air on late-night ITV. One of those was THE DREW CAREY SHOW, which used to air on ITV over here in the mid-1990s (in the days when, as UK forumites will recall, we had just four terrestrial channels), at about 1am. I often used to tune into this one before I went to sleep. On reflection, it was probably one of the better US sitcoms - not as sharp as THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW, for example, but with some droll humour that provided a nice antidote to the likes of FRIENDS, which got a big push on UK television thanks to Channel 4, who screened it in a prime slot. (I used to go out with a girl who was obsessed with FRIENDS; I never understood the appeal of that show - but to each his own, as they say.)

I've just taken receipt of the Region 1 boxset of the first season of THE DREW CAREY SHOW and will give it a watch over the next few weeks, to see if my memories of it are accurate. So far, the pilot episode has been quite promising.

I suppose a certain element of this is nostalgia for an era of slightly less cynical programming: now, in the age of multichannel digital television, at that point in the evening/early morning the mainstream channels tend to fall back on easy moneymakers ('shiny floor' reality television shows, gambling call-in shows).

Regardless, I'd be interested in knowing what shows you chaps took for granted when they were on the air, didn't give much thought to when they disappeared from the schedules, but found yourselves pining for years after the fact.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I don't really have a show to add....I guess I never bothered with TWIN PEAKS when it was first on because it sounded like a soap opera...but I think that the Drew Carey show will hold up. :D It was a staple of our college viewing years.

I can't really think of a show that I long for. I can think of plenty that over stayed their welcome *cough* Simpsons *cough*.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

What used to happen to me all the time (back when I had TV) was that I would suddenly realize that a show had been cancelled -- but it wouldn't dawn on me until a year or so after it left! I'd just be sitting there and think "Heeeey, what ever happened to ____?!". Out of sight, and out of mind.

Some shows I didn't really think that much of when they were on, but missed after they were gone were:

THE VERY GOOD ADVENTURES OF YAM ROLL

This was on CBC TV in Canada for like, 5 minutes in 2005. And then it was gone. Missed it as soon as I couldn't watch it anymore. It's not even on youtube or anything, aside for this 6 minute clip from one episode.

RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT

The Jack Palance version from the early 1980s. This was my introduction to Jack, and to Ripley's when I was a kid. Was sort of so-so about it, but watched it all the time. A few years later, after I couldn't see it anymore... I wanted to watch it again so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bougie View Post
    What used to happen to me all the time (back when I had TV) was that I would suddenly realize that a show had been cancelled -- but it wouldn't dawn on me until a year or so after it left! I'd just be sitting there and think "Heeeey, what ever happened to ____?!". Out of sight, and out of mind.

Some shows I didn't really think that much of when they were on, but missed after they were gone were:

THE VERY GOOD ADVENTURES OF YAM ROLL

This was on CBC TV in Canada for like, 5 minutes in 2005. And then it was gone. Missed it as soon as I couldn't watch it anymore. It's not even on youtube or anything, aside for this 6 minute clip from one episode.

RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT

The Jack Palance version from the early 1980s. This was my introduction to Jack, and to Ripley's when I was a kid. Was sort of so-so about it, but watched it all the time. A few years later, after I couldn't see it anymore... I wanted to watch it again so bad!

Wow! Thought I was the only one who remembered Jack Palance's RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT! I would love a DVD set of this show. I have fond memories of it from when I was a kid, and it would be on in the evening later on in the week, like Thursday or Friday, can't remember which. I lived in BC at the time, so we probably watched the same broadcasts back in the day, Robin!

As for CBC, I'm frustrated that a lot of their shows are unavailable on DVD, especially the classic ones. I would certainly buy something like a BEACHCOMBERS set, amongst other shows from the network. Ironic that our tax money is used to fund the station, but the shows we like from the network aren't more widely available!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    I can't really think of a show that I long for. I can think of plenty that over stayed their welcome *cough* Simpsons *cough*.
    Yeah, as much as I like THE SIMPSONS, they need to bring it to a close. It's really run its course, IMO.

Also realized watching some episodes of NIGHT COURT the other day how much I miss that show. It's probably my favourite comedy show of all time. Yeah, it's dated now, but it was great. What an ensemble cast!

This show:

I just remembered Mission Hill. Great show, can't believe it was cancelled after 1 season.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I never watched Cheers when it was on back in the day, but nowadays I have come to appreciate it. Compared to the "humour" of todays sitcoms it is like a nobel prize winner vs. a childrens book. Also its spinoff Frasier was missed by me on its original run, but nowadays I appreciate it also.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"