Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 123

Thread: Predator Trilogy Blu-ray Release Coming In May

  1. #41

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    Jake Busey is an odd choice. Do you think that Shane Black is going to do some kind of callback to Predator 2? He'd kind of have to because Jake looks so much like his father.
    CALLED IT!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

    Alejandro Jodorowsky

  3. #43
    I also like how Shane is acknowledging the very underrated Predator 2. That's a sequel, like Robocop 2, where fanboys just love unnecessarily trashing it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

    Alejandro Jodorowsky

  4. #44
    Administrator Ian Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    55,016
    I saw P2 in the theater first run. Loved it the, still love it now. Never understood the hate for it. I think it's just the fact that Arnold isn't in it that gets people irked.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

  5. #45
    Senior Member Mark Tolch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    8,374
    I saw the first one in theatre, second one on VHS. I think that the second one was an R, so i couldn't get in. I have to admit that I dig it, but the first one is a masterpiece of 80's awesome. No film could follow that up.

  6. #46
    Butthorn Roderick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Voorwerp
    Posts
    2,373
    I thought Predator 2 was shit when it first came out. Now I think its pretty entertaining shit. Doesn't hold a candle to the original.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    I thought Predator 2 was shit when it first came out. Now I think its pretty entertaining shit. Doesn't hold a candle to the original.
    Predator 2 was a brilliant move after the first. The first movie's central mechanic was "What the hell is hunting these guys?" Of course, once you answer that question, doing it again would have been a shitty sequel. 2 avoided the problem by making it "You know what is hunting everyone, so how the hell are THESE guys going to deal with it?" It made a different-feeling movie that managed to be in tune with the original and equal it for quality.

    Robocop 2 was dumbed-down, sanitized garbage that should never have been made.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I saw P2 in the theater first run. Loved it the, still love it now. Never understood the hate for it. I think it's just the fact that Arnold isn't in it that gets people irked.
    It comes down to that and the setting being a city. But we all know how well that worked out when they returned to the jungle. Even though I grew to like Predators (3) it's definitely not up to par with the first two.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

    Alejandro Jodorowsky

  9. #49
    MCMLXXX Matt H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Burlington, ON
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Robocop 2 was dumbed-down, sanitized garbage that should never have been made.
    It may have been dumbed-down, but I wouldn't call it sanitized; I still think it's one of the sleaziest and most mean-spirited movies to ever come out of Hollywood. Plus, it was a summer blockbuster aimed at pre-teens!

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    It may have been dumbed-down, but I wouldn't call it sanitized; I still think it's one of the sleaziest and most mean-spirited movies to ever come out of Hollywood. Plus, it was a summer blockbuster aimed at pre-teens!
    I don't think Robocop 2 was aimed at Tweens per se, I think they cast a child as one of the villains as a subversive act. Trying to be shocking (which worked, Roger Ebert got on his moral soapbox over the casting) and throw the audience for a loop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    I saw the first one in theatre, second one on VHS. I think that the second one was an R, so i couldn't get in. I have to admit that I dig it, but the first one is a masterpiece of 80's awesome. No film could follow that up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    I thought Predator 2 was shit when it first came out. Now I think its pretty entertaining shit. Doesn't hold a candle to the original.
    I agree that Predator is a pretty perfectly executed film. Very fun film of course. But, like Alien and Aliens, it's a really solid example of structure and setup.

    Predator 2 is a fun followup that -while not being as perfectly executed- still manages to hit all the notes. The opening action sequence is top notch for example.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 06-27-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

    Alejandro Jodorowsky

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
  2. Mad Max Trilogy Coming To Blu-ray
    By Ian Jane in forum General Cinema
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •