Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Donnie Yen Thread!

Talking of Donnie Yen, have you all seen the trailer for his new film The Lost Bladesman?

Or how about his plans for a new Electric Boogaloo film? (Haha, I kid -- this is waaaaay old Donnie)

PS: Ian, does this mean I'll have Ip Man 2 on BD a whole month ahead of you? Or will you get a screener before street-date?

I don't know about screeners yet but if I do get one, it won't likely be a month early.

Lost Bladesman looks pretty cool, Mismatched Couples does not.

Yen's kinda stepped up his game the last few years. Most of his recent output, or his action movie output at least, has been really good.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    ...Mismatched Couples does not.
    Yeah, I've kind of avoided it forever...like most of the '80s HK disco cash-ins. The one or two I did see were (expectedly) terrible.

The other big news on Mr. Yen, is that he's gay...no, wait, that's not it...(just joshing); he's playing the Monkey King in a brand new version next year! He's going to have to really up his game to improve on either Stephen Chow or Jet Li's versions of Sun Wu Kong though.

In all honesty, thanks to you guys, I've actually started to warm to the guy a bit. It's taken twenty years, and the guy's nearly fifty now, but all dogs have their day!

I take that back: Metrodome replied this evening advising that their discs have the theatrical Cantonese audio for Legend of Fist. But their version has burnt-in subs, so it looks like I'll be getting the HK DVD afterall...
    Last edited by Mike T; 02-16-2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: last update change

Haven't seen that one yet myself but I did just find my misplaced screener for 14 Blades which I'll hopefully get to this week. Daniel Lee's Three Kingdom's didn't blow me away but I still hold a soft spot for Black Mask. And Sammo's in this one, so it should, if nothing else, at least be entertaining.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Snap! My BD of 14 Blades should be arriving any day now (along with Bodyguards and Assassins and that Female Prisoner Scorpion boxset). I saw a bit of it this time last year at an aunt or uncle's house back home in Sarawak, via one of those "same-day-VCD-releases" () and it looked pretty good. Daniel Lee made a couple of good films, by far the best of which was A Fighter's Blues with Andy Lau, but we agree there...he's a bit hit and miss. Still haven't watched my Three Kingdoms DVD! Only had it nearly two years...

Btw, we should make this the Donnie Yen thread. Haha!

Which reminds me, have you ever seen Drunken Tai Chi? It was one of Yen's first, and it is very old school kung fu -- but it has this brilliant fight between two combatants, one of whom uses a hand-puppet to beat his opponent(s)! Found it on YouTube and here it is, from around the 3 - 4 minute mark...

Priceless!
    Last edited by Mike T; 02-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.

I had (and probably still have, somewhere) a lousy quality DVD of Drunken Tai Chi but the quality was so bad that I never made it through the thing.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Cover art for the standard and 2-disc collector's editions of Ip Man 2 from Well Go USA.

Name:  ip1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  ip2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  34.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yep, I was looking at those yesterday on Amazon.

Why is there a Dread Central quote on the front? Are they branching out?
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

No idea.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!