Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Donnie Yen Thread!

Ordered a bunch of movies a month or so ago and Barnes and Noble took so long to ship (waiting for one thing to be in stock even though everything was listed available when I placed the order) that now one of the titles is not longer available. Bastards.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Though Donnie's Ip Man movies got there first, this is the one that I was waiting for...and now it's on its way!

Wong Kar Wai's The Grand Master, with Tony Leung Chiu Wai as Ip Man. Looks like awesome sauce to me!

Looks slick, great use of water in that trailer. WKW's stuff always looks so nice.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

And it's got Tony Leung!
    It's not going to suck itself...

Looks cool.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Watched Bodyguards And Assassins last night and it's a bit long at 2:20 or so but the last half makes up for the slow pace of the first half. Like a lot of the recent films Yen has been in lately it's over the top with its Chinese patriotism but it tells an interesting story and takes place at an interesting part in the country's history. I don't know, really, how accurate it is compared to real life events but regardless, the last hour or so is pretty bad ass. Yen's more of a supporting character in this one than the lead but he gets one pretty radical fight in before it's all over. The rest of the cast are pretty cool too. Neat to see Simon Yam pop up, even if he's way underused. If not without some flaws, it's still worth seeing.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Watched Bodyguards And Assassins...
    I have this on Blu-ray out of the UK, and I'm sure it's in the wrong language (dedicated Mandarin track; HK release was listed as a mix of Mandarin and Cantonese). Worst of all, it has a quote from my least favourite UK Nob Henry journo on the front of the sleeve..."Donnie Yen at his very best" (quote: dick features, Impact magazine).

Makes you wonder if he actually even watched the movie, has ever seen any of Yen's other films, or maybe even knows what he was talking about (least of all seen the Ip Man films, or possibly even Tiger Cage II and Iron Monkey)? Even I knew, before I bought it, that Yen was only a co-starring role. But anyway, the world is full of pisswits looking to make a name for themselves...

Yeah, I dug the movie, but calling it Yen at his very best is definitely stretching it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll have to watch mine, along with the Ip Man films and 14 Blades, sometime soon...me thinks. Btw, I think Tiger Cage II, one of the boy's best, is out on BD in HK now...

PS: "...is definitely stretching it" probably wasn't all that was being stretched when that "quote" was selected.

PPS: I should just face the fact -- there's some people out there that solely write copy with the motivation of getting it used in advertising materials. No thought, no weight, no integrity - just spurious bullshit written solely to get their own name on a DVD sleeve, on a poster or promo materials in general. There was a great news and review site, that focused on Asian and genre cinema, that went that route over time. Now I see their "screaming for a byline" copy everywhere. Funny that...
    Last edited by Mike T; 08-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Tiger Cage & Tiger Cage II are both out on BD now. As are A Better Tomorrow 1, 2 and 3 (not Yen related but on my to buy list once I see some reviews).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!