Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Donnie Yen Thread!

From TWITCH:

The gang's getting back together, the Ip Man saga will get to the part of the story where Bruce Lee turns up, and this time it's happening in 3D.

Though star Donnie Yen had indicated shortly after the release of Ip Man 2 that he did not intend to return to the hugely popular series of biographical pictures about the life of Bruce Lee's mentor, sales agents Pegasus Motion Pictures have announced that they will be launching sales on the upcoming Ip Man 3D in Cannes and the entire original team is coming back - including Yen, producer Raymond Wong, writer Edmond Wong and director Wilson Yip. Lynn Hung and Yu Bo are currently slated to co-star and though the film is still listed in development they are aiming for a 2013 release date so they'll need to be gearing up soon.

What say you? Donnie Yen reprising one of the strongest roles of his career in 3D? Could be fun ...
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Tiger Cage & Tiger Cage II are both out on BD now. As are A Better Tomorrow 1, 2 and 3 (not Yen related but on my to buy list once I see some reviews).
    Pathetically, I'd never seen either TIGER CAGE movie until tonight, when I watched the HK Blu-ray release of TIGER CAGE 2. (Part 2 was released over here on VHS by Made in Hong Kong during the 1990s, but I never managed to get hold of the tape.) What a film! There's some bone-crunching action, some great non-PC humour and a solid, noirish plot. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I'm eager to track down the first movie.

Btw, the Blu-ray release of TIGER CAGE 2 is selling for peanuts on WowHD's (formerly CD Wow) website: http://www.wowhd.co.uk/blu-ray/tiger...108725#bc=2cae The disc is reportedly an upscale, but for six quid I was happy with my purchase - not owning any of the DVD releases.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I didn't realize until you brought this thread up that there was such a Donnie Yen fandom here --nice. I'd seen Iron Monkey and Ip Man already, but this week I watched Kill Zone which pushed me over the edge to needing to seek out a bunch more of his. I have, but haven't watched yet Ip Man 2, Seven Swords, and Empress and the Warrior. What other titles do you guys recommend I seek out?

Of his recent films, I really liked FLASHPOINT. IN THE LINE OF DUTY 4 is a goodie too. DRAGON INN is very good as well.

I also like HOLY VIRGIN VS THE EVIL DEAD, SATAN RETURNS and DRAGON TIGER GATE - but a lot of people seem not to share my enjoyment of those three films.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    IN THE LINE OF DUTY 4 is a goodie too.
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten he was in that. I have that on the way to me from ddd house.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely have to look for the others...

No worries Don't forget TIGER CAGE 2: it's a fun little film.

Flashpoint and Kill Zone are, in my opinion, the two best of his more recent movies - the two Ip Man films (both of which are great), notwithstanding.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

KILL ZONE is the US title for SPL/SHA PO LONG, isn't it? That's a very good film too, Apronikoff. I'll happily second Ian's recommendation of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    KILL ZONE is the US title for SPL/SHA PO LONG, isn't it? That's a very good film too, Apronikoff. I'll happily second Ian's recommendation of it
    Yeah, that was the one I watched the other day that made me want to seek out more of his...awesome stuff.

And of course Iron Monkey, but you've probably seen that already.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!