Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Before Dawn

Just Before Dawn

Has anyone picked up the Code Red Blu-ray of this backwoods slasher? Your thoughts?

I'm interested in seeing what the picture quality looks like but I can't seem to find scans of this anywhere.
    It's all in the reflexes.

I'll post some caps for you after work. I've got it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Cool, thanks Ian.

Just Before Dawn

It looks much better than the DVD, with a slightly limited and garish colour palate. Detail's massively improved but there are a lot of 'soft' shots which are as intended. Definitely worth the upgrade though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Smith View Post
    It looks much better than the DVD, with a slightly limited and garish colour palate. Detail's massively improved but there are a lot of 'soft' shots which are as intended. Definitely worth the upgrade though.
    I'll echo what Clive said. It's definitely a big upgrade over the Shriek Show DVD and, I would assume, the various other DVD releases - not only in terms of the presentation but also in terms of the uncut presentation. The longer version is in rougher shape but still watchable - and despite showing quite a bit of damage is still yards ahead of the Shriek Show DVD. I'm very happy with it.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

JBD is one the best backwoods slashers so I was looking to upgrade. Unfortunately the impressions I was reading of the blu-ray on some horror forums were very lukewarm so I haven't pulled the trigger. It's a shame Bill doesn't send screeners to reviewers. I have a feeling someone like Ian would be able to talk me into upgrading this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'll echo what Clive said. It's definitely a big upgrade over the Shriek Show DVD and, I would assume, the various other DVD releases - not only in terms of the presentation but also in terms of the uncut presentation. The longer version is in rougher shape but still watchable - and despite showing quite a bit of damage is still yards ahead of the Shriek Show DVD. I'm very happy with it.
    That's great to hear. I've never actually seen in the film in any shape or form, but it sounds right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    It's a shame Bill doesn't send screeners to reviewers. I have a feeling someone like Ian would be able to talk me into upgrading this one.
    Yeah no kidding. I'd love to review Code Red stuff, and most of the people who come to R!S!P! regularly are buyers/collectors, so you'd think our promotion would help his business out.

Then again I'm still relatively new here and to Code Red so if there's a history to Bill's policy of not sending out screeners, I'm not aware of it.

I never liked this one but I can't pinpoint why. I guess I never found the characters likable and it doesn't have the gore or say atmosphere (especially the later) compared to say The Burning, or Final Terror or Rituals.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.