Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: What Asian Films Have You Been Watching Recently?

I have SCOOP but just waiting for subs to watch it all the way through -- I did take a quick glance and seems like a pretty entertaining flick. yeah, HIMEANOLE was one of my faves from last year. I recommend fans seek it out as it is relatively easy to find with a nice BD rip with English subs available. I think the reason I was drawn to that movie was the superb performance by Gaku Hamada...now, I've seen all his roles in the various comedies put out by TWF (he's the sole reason that godawfule SAKE BOMB was even remotely watchable) and a few others like THE APOLOGY KING & always felt he had a certain presence about him but he really shines in HIMEANOLE.

Back to the topic at hand, I had a rather lukewarm reaction when I first saw Dante Lam's THE SNIPER a few years ago but I enjoyed it quite a bit more after a recent re-watch. I think my initial lack of enthusiasm stemmed from my bias against Edison Chen as I feel he's been universally awful in everything with the exception of DOG BITE DOG & his performance here is more of the same -- of course, the whole photo scandal had tarnished his reputation by the time this flick was released but I could care less about that but no doubt it played a role in this film being a bust at the box office. I believe certain scenes where edited to minimize Edison's screen time as well which certainly didn't help matters either. The performances by Huang Xiaoming & Richie Jen in supporting roles is decent enough for me to to overlook Edison Chen's wooden acting (once again) & the action sequences were ok for the most part even taking into consideration the cheap CGI effects and the final shootout was well worth the wait. I've seen the aforementioned Huang Xiaoming in other movies since and I especially enjoyed his role in AMERICAN DREAMS IN CHINA & John Woo's THE CROSSING. He turned into a much better actor than I would've imagined from his performance here.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Angel of Vengeance
    http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtm...isplay_set=eng
    As the title may suggest there will be a focus on the vengeance part, sure there is a vengeance however the storyline mostly revolves around an "investigation" (mostly personal with some police involvement) aimed towards a sleazy brothel. With Yukari Oshima and Alexander Lo-Rei amongst others. Pretty average, not enough fighting.. great ending though.. Worthwhile though if going in with low expectations or ambition for that mather. Can't see much that motivates the rating outside of 1 rape scene in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by ropo1 View Post
    Angel of Vengeance
    As the title may suggest there will be a focus on the vengeance part, sure there is a vengeance however the storyline mostly revolves around an "investigation" (mostly personal with some police involvement) aimed towards a sleazy brothel. With Yukari Oshima and Alexander Lo-Rei amongst others. Pretty average, not enough fighting.. great ending though.. Worthwhile though if going in with low expectations or ambition for that mather. Can't see much that motivates the rating outside of 1 rape scene in particular.
    I remember blind buying this dvd at Tower Records for no other reason than it starred Yukari Oshima plus it was priced really cheap and they included a free T-shirt in the package along with the disc.

Speaking of bad films, I had the misfortune to watch SASORI, the HK/Japanese co-production directed by Joe Ma. I didn't go in with high expectations at all & was expecting it to be in line with the V-cinema spin offs of the Shunya Ito films but this film barely met that low bar. The very least, I thought perhaps the action might redeem this film but the wire fu and swordplay were so OTT ridiculous that it didn't hold my attention at all. The most interesting parts of the flick were seeing various character actors playing against type such as Sam Lee & Bruce Leung as vicious killers, Lam Suet as an unsavory prison warden and Ryo Ishibashi as a fatherly figure bartender for Dylan Kuo. Lead Miki Mizuno has been in a lot of shlocky genre fare and she isn't terrible playing these roles but she appeared so out of place here. To be fair, so did everyone else cast in this movie. This flick would've been better off as a comedic parody instead of attempting to parrot the the stylish exploitation of the original with 90s HK neo-noir visuals.

Just saw BATTLESHIP ISLAND at CGV Cinemas in Buena Park,CA and was quite blown away by story, performances, and brutal violence.

Very emotional account of the forced labor camp at Hashima Island (Gunkanjima) Japan, during WW2.

Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelGuts View Post
    Just saw BATTLESHIP ISLAND at CGV Cinemas in Buena Park,CA and was quite blown away by story, performances, and brutal violence.

Very emotional account of the forced labor camp at Hashima Island (Gunkanjima) Japan, during WW2.

Highly recommended.
    I have a nice HD rip that I have on my "to watch" list but you got me hyped to check it out on the big screen. I might have to make a trip to CGV tomorrow. Btw, a couple questions: 1) Do you know if that film is available as 4 DX with the extra sensory and tactile motion? 2) Have you tried any of the eateries within The Source other than the food court? especially that new hot pot place? The one thing I miss about Koreatown is all the relatively cheap dining & drinking establishments around the area.

I had heard it was to be shown in that format, but the version I saw was on a regular screen and there was no additional motion (there was a commercial for that process, though).

I ate in the food hall area that you hit if you walk straight out of the theatre. Some decent eateries there. Didn't try the hot pot place yet.

As I live in Laguna, this is much closer to me than Koreatown.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelGuts View Post
    I had heard it was to be shown in that format, but the version I saw was on a regular screen and there was no additional motion (there was a commercial for that process, though).

I ate in the food hall area that you hit if you walk straight out of the theatre. Some decent eateries there. Didn't try the hot pot place yet.

As I live in Laguna, this is much closer to me than Koreatown.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch BATTLESHIP ISLAND last night as there was some sort of traffic backup on the i5 and it caused me to miss the opening by 15 mins or so. After deliberating with my friend, we both decided to catch the last showing at CGV for the new Won Shin-yeon crime thriller, MEMOIRS OF A MURDERER instead of walking in late for BATTLESHIP.

It was a decent enough flick with an interesting & novel plot involving a "retired" serial killer with Alzheimer's who discovers his daughter's new cop beau might also be a serial killer. Had no idea that Kpop girl group 'visual', Seolhyun from AoA played the daughter & she was a pleasant surprise. I remember her film debut in GANGNAM BLUES but that was more of brief cameo than anything but she more than held her own here. Granted, it wasn't a very demanding role but I think it bodes well for future projects and will definitely keep an eye on her as her big screen career progresses.

I've seen Won Shin-yeon's past films like SUSPECT & A BLOODY ARIA but I still feel SEVEN DAYS is his best work but his new film might've just crept up to the runner up spot. It was entertaining with just enough plot twists that kept me constantly guessing until the final act but admittedly, the finale was a major letdown compared to the build up. Given the morbid subject matter, there were some really funny moments & unexpected dark humor interspersed through out especially with lead, Sol Kyung-gu's deadpan delivery of the punchlines. This film is relatively mild compared to other Korean thrillers in terms of violence and it's credit to the script that it was able to deliver a visceral punch to the audience without resorting to shock or bloody gore. If only the last act would've lived up to the rest of the film, this could've been really special but in the end, it was just an okay consolation prize for missing out on BATTLESHIP ISLAND.

Twisted Passion
    A model gets involved with some big shot and eventually marries him.. The catch, there's no sex in the relationship - she's just there to 'make him look good in public', so she will eventually have to look elsewhere to satisfy her lust. A late shaw prod from the director of Seeding of a Ghost & Hell Has No Boundary. Nothing spectacular outside of some sleazy bits and 1 or 2 rather good looking setpieces, personally just exploring another directors filmography.

Lesbian Rape: Sweet Honey Juice aka Silencer Made of Glass
    http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/1991/do000200.htm
    A demented love-triangle between a mentally unstable lesbo (with a special telekinetic connection to her pet lizard), another lesbo working at the same lab and a male co-worker who's got fascination about guns (and as the alternative title suggest - silencers) & rape. The silencer used is something of a "lab-tube" where various fluids like semen or blood are kept. Have to say I have somewhat of a hard time to grasp Sato on a personal level, but as per usual interesting unusual concept and some striking colorful visuals.