Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: What Asian Films Have You Been Watching Recently?

Had a few movies on my "to watch queue" that I finally got around to catching earlier today. First up was Kinji Fukasaku's DRIFTING DETECTIVE: TRAGEDY IN RED VALLEY. I was thinking it was going to be neat to see a real young Sonny Chiba in a 'drifter' type series with a heavy Western influence but damn, he was goofy as hell here. On top of that, he wasn't even funny in the supposed comedic scenes & Chiba's hammy acting was strictly amateur hour. This is only recommended for Chiba completists and those interested in seeing one of Fukasaku's early works. I believe he made another flick right after in this DRIFTING DETECTIVE series & can only hope that one is more entertaining than this one.

Next up was Joseph Kuo's THE SEISURE SOUL SWORD OF A BLIND GIRL. Okay, lead actress Cheung Ching-ching is no BLIND OICHI in the CRIMSON BAT series but she puts in a decent effort here. Similar storyline about a blind girl trained by a master and sets on her path for vengeance. I like the fact, this flick doesn't get too much into her backstory, instead it goes straight to the point of what the viewers want to see and that is this blind lady fucking up the baddies with her 'magic' sword. I cracked up at the rather primitive optical effects that show the 'power' of her sword onscreen but can't really expect much from these low budget Taiwanese martial arts flicks. It was still entertaining despite my copy sourced from Jamal having embedded Korean subtitles over the English ones which was annoying.

The best for last and that was Miike's BLADE OF THE IMMORTAL. I'll have more to say about this flick on its own thread but suffice to say, it was goofy fun. I really enjoyed this one on a purely visceral level. One of the better Miike flicks in recent memory and I prefer this over his adaptations of 13 ASSASSINS and HARI-KIRI.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

@Jared from Mondo Macabro.

I tried to PM you back but get this message.

Jared A. has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
    Btw, when are you going to acquire more Korean horror titles or Asian titles in general?

Oh shit! Will fix that immediately.

I am trying! About to make a concerted effort to get a Taiwanese exploitation film from the early 80s. Wish me luck!

Also have a bead on some more vintage Korean films! So hopefully sometime in the next two years we'll be able to do more of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
    Oh shit! Will fix that immediately.

I am trying! About to make a concerted effort to get a Taiwanese exploitation film from the early 80s. Wish me luck!

Also have a bead on some more vintage Korean films! So hopefully sometime in the next two years we'll be able to do more of those.
    okay, the PM should go through now. So check your inbox if you don't get a notification.

Early 80s Taiwanese exploitation? Hope it's one of the 'rape and revenge' black films like GIRL WITH A GUN.