Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: What Asian Films Have You Been Watching Recently?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrapak View Post
    Yakuza Deka (1970)

A heavy dose of slapstick humour and some euro-spy influences don't save this uneven, (for me) unfunny action-comedy film. Also didn't like Yukio Noda style of direction...
    The series gets better as it goes on. The 1st film is the worst (sloppy action, sloppy film), the 4th film is the best (great stunts, funny jokes, feels much like a Jackie Chan film). Parts 2 and 3 fall somewhere in between (2 has better action, 3 has better story and locations).

Unfortunately only the first 2 came out on dvd.

Yukio Noda (who did the first 2) was generally speaking a pretty poor director. Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs is the one exception to that rule (aside Soul of Chiba of course, but I think everyone was on drugs while filming that one).

Quote Originally Posted by Takuma View Post
    The series gets better as it goes on. The 1st film is the worst (sloppy action, sloppy film), the 4th film is the best (great stunts, funny jokes, feels much like a Jackie Chan film). Parts 2 and 3 fall somewhere in between (2 has better action, 3 has better story and locations).

Unfortunately only the first 2 came out on dvd.

Yukio Noda (who did the first 2) was generally speaking a pretty poor director. Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs is the one exception to that rule (aside Soul of Chiba of course, but I think everyone was on drugs while filming that one).
    So I will keep an eye for the other films and especially the 4th: hopefully it will be released some day...

I also rewatched "The Street Fighter" and what struck me big this time around is that, beside all the cool action (and violence) you won't find a clean-cut good guy in the whole film... they are all various shades of bad...Also I noticed so many things that "inspired" Kill Bill (the special fighting technique at the start reminded me the The Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique, the funny entrance by Chiba's partner in the 1974 film echoes the appearance of Chiba's restaurant co-owner in Tarantino film etc) And last but not least, it was fun to see Chiyoko Kazama in a more sizeable role as the main villainess after her little part in Criminal Woman: Killing Melody (1973)
    Last edited by tetrapak; 08-05-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Going to have a little SB's "Shaolin" marathon tonight. All sourced from full HD transfers with custom English subs.

"only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Went to check out Jang Hoon's A TAXI DRIVER at a matinee showing yesterday. I had high hopes for this one as I've read it has topped the box office in S. Korea and it stars one of my favorite actors, Song Kang-ho. I was not disappointed and I will go as far as to say this is the front runner for my personal best film of 2017. Song Kang-ho is superb as is the rest of the cast.

Usually these waygookin actors in Korean productions are pretty terrible or mediocre but Thomas Kretschmann did an excellent job portraying intrepid German reporter, Jürgen Hinzpeter (whose written accounts of the Gwangju massacre & interaction with the anonymous taxi driver are basis for the film) & special mention must also go to Ryu Joon-yeol (of REPLY 1988 fame) playing a university student protestor whose English skills come in handy. The scenes of the Gwangju massacre itself were harrowing and emotionally daunting but fortunately, it wasn't just overwrought drama all the time as this flick had a near perfect mix of humor, melodrama and gripping action in equal parts. The only slight negative for me was the taxi chase action scene during the finale but it didn't detract from the overall excellence of the movie. Highly recommended!

The other negative aspect had nothing to do with the film itself but rather the sad state of cinema going these days. CGV bills itself as a premium theater but unless one actually pays extra for the limited 'premium' 4DX screens - the rest of the screens are rather middling efforts. I mean no cinemascope picture, no proper masking & very average to poor black levels with cinema DLP tech. Not to be too harsh on CGV as that is the norm for movie theaters nowadays where they have to sacrifice contrast for overall brightness but I sure can't wait until micro-led screens replace digital projection.

I watched RETURN OF KUNG FU TRAILERS from Severin earlier today and made the mistake of listening to the audio commentary with Ric Myers. I turned it off as soon as he claimed SBs stalwart actor, Ku Feng was Chen Sing during the commentary for BRUCE AND THE IRON FINGER. They don't look anything a like and I don't know why any of the other 3 guest commentators didn't correct him right away. I know Frank Djeng knows his shit but guess he decided to remain mum to assuage Ric's massive ego plus Ric would've come up with a million excuses anyway. What a maroon!

I caught Lam Yi-hung's 1992 heroic bloodshed revenge flick, KILLER FLOWER aka RAKEHELL KILLER from a nice laserdisc rip. Nothing special but some nice gunplay and general mayhem.