Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What Asian Films Have You Been Watching Recently?

Body Weapon Hadn't seen it Before and found it at a reasonable price on Amazon. I can not complain about a film that gives me a boob shot 10 seconds in, just after the opening logos are done and the film begins.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Revisited FIVE DEADLY VENOMS and watched FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS and HEROES OF THE EAST. Love the cartoonish style of late Cheh but it doesn't stand up as well as Chia-Liang Liu's relatively more thoughtful films. You can feel how the budgets were probably keeping Chang Cheh's films more one-dimensional compared to his earlier films. VENOMS manages to balance story and fighting better than most of his other films from this era and so is stronger for it I think.

caught a double bill of Bae Chang-ho works in THE ROAD and DEEP BLUE NIGHT on dvd. Surprised more of his work isn't readily available since he was a rather successful commercial director with blockbusters. Hopefully KOFA puts out some of his catalog on blu ray in the near future especially WHALE HUNTING. It was either going be him or Hong Sang-soo tonight & Bae Chang-ho won out based on the fact he's nowhere near as pretentious and certainly nowhere near as boring & repetitive as Hong Sang-soo.
    "only the simplest can accommodate the most complex"

Re-watched the SBs "Johnny" Wang Lung-wei directed crime actioner, THIS MAN IS DANGEROUS. A nice mix of goofball cop buddy comedy, melodrama and gritty violence. Lung-wei was always my fave SBs villain even over such notables as Lo Lieh and Ku Feng.

Caught a double bill earlier...the first was Daishi Matsunaga's PIETA IN THE TOILET based on Osamu Tezuka's diary entries.

the other was the rotoscope anime, THE CASE OF HANA AND ALICE by Shunji Iwai, which is the prequel to the live film & voiced by the same actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by 47lab View Post
    Caught a double bill earlier...the first was Daishi Matsunaga's PIETA IN THE TOILET based on Osamu Tezuka's diary entries.

the other was the rotoscope anime, THE CASE OF HANA AND ALICE by Shunji Iwai, which is the prequel to the live film & voiced by the same actresses.
    You forgot to tell the most important thing: are they good or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Takuma View Post
    You forgot to tell the most important thing: are they good or not?
    I enjoyed both but really enjoyed the anime since I'm such a fan of Hana & Alice. Shame there is still no legit English friendly blu ray release. Thank goodness for HK bootleggers tho'

Caught THE DOLLHOUSE MURDER earlier. Sucker for anything Yusaku Matsuda.

I like Matsuda, but I often find his films a little disapponting.

My favourites are:
    1. Resurrection of the Golden Wolf (1979)
    2. Classroom of Terror (1976)
    3. Black Rain (1989)
    4. Family Game (1983)

These four I can easily recommend to anyone. Proof of a Man and The Most Dangerous Game have their merits as well. I was less impressed by Yokohama BJ Blues, A Homance, The Execution Game, The Murder Game, No Grave for Us, The Beast Must Die, and Detective Story (film).

I kinda feel he became a star too late, just when Japanese action cinema started going downhill. Had he been a big star in the early/mid 70s his filmography could've been amazing.

yep, definitely a shame he came along a bit too late. Also a shame that his entry into the international market/Hollywood came too late as well & it was that dreadful BLACK RAIN to top it off...but I see it is your #3 movie listed. oh well, I guess that's part of his mystique now. One of my favorites is THE BEAST MUST DIE -- not due to the quality of the movie but more the fact, he plays a killer who is an audiophile! Not many movies of that ilk, the other one that pops in my head is Woo Min-ho's MAN OF VENDETTA. As a whole, a rather lackluster crime thriller but I enjoyed it due to storyline about the kidnapper being obsessed over a certain TOTL exotic tube amplifier.

some Hiroyuki Sanada today in THE BLAZING VALIANT...not his best that's for sure but worth a watch if you're a fan.