Thread: Scorpion releasing RECORD CITY (1978) in March

Scorpion releasing RECORD CITY (1978) in March

Dear God.

I somehow managed to never hear of this film, despite seeing every PG-rated film to hit my local theater in 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUGpetfr9HE

This looks amazingly awful, and worst of all, seems to have Rick Dees' stink all over it. I have a huge nostalgia hate boner for that guy. I'll be buying this as soon as it goes up for sale.

I never heard of this either. It sounds awful but I'm perversely interested all the same. This quote from a letterboxed review should serve as a dire warning:

"But, the critical question you have to ask yourself, before you start Record City, is how much Rick Dees can you take?
    This is, of course, a trick question. Any Rick Dees is too much."

A relative of his lived in my grandmother's apartment building back in his heyday and she, unasked, got me his autograph. I politely thanked her and later disposed of it properly. Just the mention of his name is gonna have that godawful novelty song in my head all day. Thanks!
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

I'll be getting this.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    I politely thanked her and later disposed of it properly. Just the mention of his name is gonna have that godawful novelty song in my head all day. Thanks!
    Great story!

I just found out yesterday that he didn't even do the god damned duck voice on that record.

Now available to order from Ronin Flix.

I always assumed Rick Dees was a national treasure.

I mean, a treasure of SOME sort, clearly, but after that it gets fuzzy.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Received this, and it is very bad indeed. Anecdotally, the subtitles seem like somebody's best guess as to what the characters might possibly be saying. Nice to see "Timothy" Thomerson in his prime--probably the earliest appearance of his that I've seen.