Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Andy Milligan

I tried to watch Carnage based purely on the trailer. The trailer was awesome and funny as hell. So I'm thinking "Okay, there's no way anyone can fuck up a movie where inanimate objects spring to life and kill people." Maximum Overdrive is a great example of this. But somehow, Andy found a way. I was so incredibly bored when watching Carnage, even when some gore started I was so disinterested I shut it off.

Never again. No more Milligan for me. I gave him two chances with Guru: the Mad Monk and Carnage. Unless everyone here can rally behind The Ghastly Ones. I might give him one last chance with that flick.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

Alejandro Jodorowsky

The two best Milligan films I've seen are Fleshpot on 42nd Street and Night Birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
    The two best Milligan films I've seen are Fleshpot on 42nd Street and Night Birds.
    Those are great, but so different from his horror films. Closer to arthouse, really.

Alex, Milligan makes bad movies - the boredom is half the appeal, haha. I get off on the screwy dialogue and nonsensical situations and horrible pacing, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Reading the bio helps to give some of his movies a context you wouldn't have otherwise. Ghastly Ones, in my opinion, is great but it's really just a lot of people bitching at each other.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy bad movies too. But Milligan creates a particular type of bad movie from what I've seen so far.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Andy Milligan films remind me of a bad BBC period or soap opera drama from the 1960s or 70s but with more nastiness and gore. This is why they are amusing to me.
    Last edited by Bogart; 03-17-2016 at 12:26 PM.

I guess I might be in the minority here as far as Andy Milligan's films. I find them to be very personal avant guarde peaks into the life and mind of Mr Milligan. I have seen most of his output and think his cinema has a distinct personal touch like Franco or Rollin. You can definitely tell who made it from the first frame that flashes across the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Those are great, but so different from his horror films. Closer to arthouse, really.
    ...the boredom is half the appeal, haha.
    Spoken like a true trash connoisseur, lol. I totally know what you mean Ian. There's something masochistic in real B-movie fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by cmeffa View Post
    I guess I might be in the minority here as far as Andy Milligan's films. I find them to be very personal avant guarde peaks into the life and mind of Mr Milligan. I have seen most of his output and think his cinema has a distinct personal touch like Franco or Rollin. You can definitely tell who made it from the first frame that flashes across the screen.
    I'm in the same camp, cmeffa: what I like about Milligan's films is they're so uncinematic (or even anti-cinematic) in the sense that Milligan knows about performance, theatrics and staging but is really careless with the elements which distinguish film from theatre (eg, photography, sound). That creates a weird disjuncture in his films that I find appealing in a way that I can't quite articulate. They're definitely a cinematic equivalent of 'Marmite': you either love them or hate them.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    I'm in the same camp, cmeffa: what I like about Milligan's films is they're so uncinematic (or even anti-cinematic)
    So you're looking for that Andy Warhol quality? I can understand that.

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    So you're looking for that Andy Warhol quality? I can understand that.
    That's a good way of putting it, Alex
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard