Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toxic Zombies (1980) AKA Bloodeaters and Forest of Fear

Toxic Zombies (1980) AKA Bloodeaters and Forest of Fear

I've been a champion of this little movie for a while now and figured as I've got nothing better to do at the moment, start a thread! You may have seen this play on USA Up All Night in the 90's. Today I suppose its best remembered for two things, one being banned as a video nasty under its UK title Forest of Fear and two, for the man behind the film Charles McCrann passing in the twin towers on 9/11.

Its a really cool low budget affair with a neat concept, after having their pot crop sprayed by government agents using an experimental chemical the growers become carnivorous, zombie-like cannibals preying on the unlucky ones camping out in the general vicinity. Obviously very Romero inspired, it was even shot in Pennsylvania and John Amplas has a role as one of the main government officials.

Not going to deny its flawed in parts but this was obviously a labor of love for the late McCrann who along with starring and directing also wrote and produced the film and for the most part I'd say did a fair job. Some cool gore effects too considering the limited funds. I do have to mention there are parts of the score that are lifted straight from the Halloween theme and I'm sure it was meant as an homage but still, they could have been just a bit less blatant.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Shocking Truth / Shocking Truth 2 (Gregory Dark, 1996-97)

What's the best available version of this film? I remember seeing a VHS-sourced DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by WillemClaeys View Post
    What's the best available version of this film? I remember seeing a VHS-sourced DVD.
    That's probably it for now unless you find a cheap tape, its not like the picture quality will be much different. A while back over at Latarnia there here was some interest expressed by some in having Code Red look into the film which would make total sense but I think there might be some licensing issues.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Shocking Truth / Shocking Truth 2 (Gregory Dark, 1996-97)

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  23.1 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I really hated this film. Cool poster art at least.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I remember renting it on vhs based on the cover art but it's another on the long list of movies I remember nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
    I really hated this film. Cool poster art at least.
    I didn't hate it, but I thought it was pretty dull and forgettable.

This was on one of the DPP nasties lists in the UK and I don't think it ever got re-released over here, so I've always been curious about it. I'll probably pick it up.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by agent999 View Post
    This was on one of the DPP nasties lists in the UK and I don't think it ever got re-released over here, so I've always been curious about it. I'll probably pick it up.
    Probably because of the poster. Same with Don't Go in the Woods and a few other pretty innocuous titles.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I've never seen this but have a soft spot for junk food movies like this, especially regional ones. I'll check it out.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!