Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tales from the Crypt

Tales from the Crypt

It's a show I grew up on and came out at just the right time, the horror drought of the 90's. Going through the series again and there's some definite gems but a lot of episodes were just 'meh' for me. Most of these tend to be the jilted lover episodes and re-watching it now I'm shocked by just how many episodes use the same kind of premise. Husband or Wife is cheating, wants the inheritance, whatever and plots to kill the other one and maybe something supernatural happens in the end.

Those episodes just don't do anything for me because they're predictable and come off as typical Skinemax fluff but with less nudity and a little bit of gore. I can only guess so many episodes like this were made to appeal to the Skinemax crowd.

But, once it breaks away from the formula it's actually really fun. Rarely high brow entertainment but still fun pulp horror.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Also, I love that episode where Morton Downey JR is killed with a chainsaw.

When the DVD sets were coming out I rewatched the entire series in order and had a blast doing so.

Might be time to give that another shot... there are some seriously awesome stories in the run and a lot of great talent in front of and behind the camera on this series.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Longtime Crypt fanatic. Still pissed at HBO for canning the show, they really ought to bring it back. I've still got quite a bit of merchandise in the form of shirts, trading cards plus all the VHS tapes they released with 3 episodes each that I refuse to get rid of. If you've seen a handful of episodes it can be pretty obvious where the stories are going to end up, they sort of created a niche for themselves with grisly morality tales but they were nonetheless always fun to watch. Looking back I'm surprised how many big name stars they were able to wrangle for some of the episodes.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Sinfonía erótica (Jess Franco, 1980)

A reboot would be interesting. Hell, it could even be played on basic cable considering the kind of carnage AMC gets away with on The Walking Dead.

Another this is with this type of show its not like there's a lack of ideas for storylines considering all the old EC comics. Hypothetically if the show were to come back the old crew of Richard Donner, Walter Hill and Robert Zemeckis would have to be involved.
    Vortice Mortale - Latest post: Sinfonía erótica (Jess Franco, 1980)

Amazon has the complete series on DVD on sale for $19.99 right now.

Anyone who doesn't already have it would be crazy to pass that up.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I couldn't pre-order it 2 hours ago, said the seller didn't have it.

Yeah it sold out fast. They'll maybe get more stock? It's a pre-order after all.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I think it was probably a pricing error.