Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unholy Rollers

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Damn, this movie is killing me. Tried watching it a couple of times but it did nothing for me, which is weird, because on paper it sounds right up my alley. Had another look at it last night and all of a sudden I'm loving it. But the music substitutions are so terrible and obvious. Watching the Amazon version now and it is SO MUCH BETTER. I need this version on a round piece of plastic to truly enjoy it. Hopefully Check Berry will die soon.
    I'm glad you mentioned this. My first viewing left me cold which was surprising because as you said "on paper it sounds right up my alley". I'll give the Amazon Prime version a spin ...errr, stream and see Chuck Berry doesn't warm it up for me.

This one blew me away the first time I watched it; way above average IMO.

Giving this one a snarky bump because I am gauche af.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Giving this one a snarky bump because I am gauche af.
    I can't believe you wanted this THAT badly, but your secret is safe with me!

What the hell are you guys talking about?!

They might be referencing the death of Chuck Berry. Berry's musical presence has kept a number of films from being released on home video, especially in the DVD format (AMERICAN HOT WAX and LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL, to name two). UNHOLY ROLLERS has been released on VHS and DVD, but with the adaptations of Chuck Berry songs deleted from its soundtrack in favor of Kendall Schmidt synthesizer music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
    They might be referencing the death of Chuck Berry. Berry's musical presence has kept a number of films from being released on home video, especially in the DVD format (AMERICAN HOT WAX and LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL, to name two). UNHOLY ROLLERS has been released on VHS and DVD, but with the adaptations of Chuck Berry songs deleted from its soundtrack in favor of Kendall Schmidt synthesizer music.
    Don't know if that's what the other comments are referencing but just because Berry passed away doesn't mean that the rights to his songs will be easier to get. They're controlled by a publishing company and someone's death won't change anything. Berry may not have even owned the rights to them anymore.

Ahhh... now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason C View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned this. My first viewing left me cold which was surprising because as you said "on paper it sounds right up my alley". I'll give the Amazon Prime version a spin ...errr, stream and see Chuck Berry doesn't warm it up for me.
    Thanks for the reminder Marshall. My second viewing, this time with Chuck Berry's music, went much better than my first. It's a lot fun. Fingers crossed for a proper release, but the bootleg looks good.

The Shout Factory transfer is pretty good, but of course is missing the vocal songs. They did restore footage of the bar band (Louie and the Rockets), but had to go with the Kendall Schmidt synth soundtrack.