Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unholy Rollers

Unholy Rollers

This is a pretty rad movie.

Name:  unholy_rollers_poster_01.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  67.1 KB

Playmate Claudia Jennings plays a tough chick named Karen who works at a cat food factory. She gets tired of her lecherous boss pinching her buttocks without permission and quits on the spot after throwing a few cans of cat food at the dirty old man. From here? She embarks on a new career in roller derby, skating for a team called The Avengers. A horny drunken doctor has to check her out before she can skate. Before you know it she's boffing the team manager, who just so happens to be married to a woman named Tina. Oops. At any rate, Karen makes her way up the roller derby ranks much to the dismay of the former Avengers skating star captain, who winds up demoted to the other team. A feud starts - but Karen is a rebel, she gets a tattoo. She also doesn't always play by the rules. This raises the ire of the team's owner. He trash talks her but no way, she's not having any of it.

Eventually her teammates turn on her. She's got a sweet muscle car with a big silver horse on the hood and a zebra print top. These bitches key it! Karen goes home to see her mom, but mom's a waste of space. Drama ensues but then, Karen's about to get replaced by a hot black chick. Is her career over so soon after she hits the big time? Why did her teammates throw her on a pool table in a bar and rip off all of her clothes? Why did she bone that married guy on a table in the middle of the roller derby track?

Roger Corman produced, Vernom Zimmerna directed. He also directed Fade To Black and a few other movies I do not know. Roberta Collins shows up in this and Karen's mother is Kathleen Freeman - the IMDB says she provided the voice of an 'old woman' in Shrek and she was also Peggy Bundy's mom on Married With Children. Weird.

This poster is great.

Name:  training_wheels.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  UH-8001.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  23.0 KB

RIP Claudia!

Name:  1970 mercury capri.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  43.2 KB
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh, and Shout! Factory put it out on DVD in this collection here.

Name:  A1ITy4fp2ML._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  69.4 KB

If you like Claudia Jennings and/or 70s roller derby, you should get it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This would be a nice one for Scorpion to get so we get a decent product.
    "Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

This trailer will never alow me to go to a Roller Derby game again without very impure thoughts. (And yes, I have attended 3 games or bouts as they like to call them. Despite my deep hatred for feminism I quite enjoy watching overly sexualized women skate around in circles and shoving eachother)
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Watched this last night and really liked it. I wish they had gone into why she was so violent and unbalanced to begin with.
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

The Shout Factory print is the best home video print of UNHOLY ROLLERS. It is in widescreen and actually restores a bit of long-missing footage.

However, the original rock and roll songs are not in this version, nor have they appeared on any home video release of this film. They can be heard on the Amazon.Prime free download of the film, however.

I love this one. Owned a bootleg of it for years now, and actually watched it on local, On Demand tv, believe it or not. So much fun, and Claudia Jennings was just an unbelievable knockout. Her Playboy centerfold held a special place over at my old band's practice space wall.

Damn, this movie is killing me. Tried watching it a couple of times but it did nothing for me, which is weird, because on paper it sounds right up my alley. Had another look at it last night and all of a sudden I'm loving it. But the music substitutions are so terrible and obvious. Watching the Amazon version now and it is SO MUCH BETTER. I need this version on a round piece of plastic to truly enjoy it. Hopefully Check Berry will die soon.

Yeah, almost anything featuring Chuck Berry music tends to remain among the missing on DVD (UNHOLY ROLLERS, LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL, AMERICAN HOT WAX, to name three). One of the few exceptions is the apparently PD rock 'n' roll flick GO, JOHNNY, GO from the late 1950's.

Shout tried to clear the music rights for their DVD, but it was too much of a quagmire. Amazon.Prime apparently still has the songs intact, but all VHS, DVD, and cable TV prints have the substitute instrumental soundtrack by Kendall Schmidt. The songs are still intact in 35MM theatrical prints. Martin Scorsese was the music editor for the original film.

There was an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 built around this film.