Thread: Paganini Horror (1989 Lugi Cozzi supernatural slasher)

Paganini Horror (1989 Lugi Cozzi supernatural slasher)

I swear that I saw this one a number of years ago but I remember nothing about it. Re-watched it and found myself pretty entertained by it.

An all girl rock group playing terrible Euro Rock/Pop hybrid music acquires a lost song by the famed composer Paganini. As sold by the mysterious Donald Pleasence who is in a grand total of three scenes. The girl rock band decides to shoot a video in Paganini's old home and so goes the legend that Paganini sold his soul to the devil and butchered his mistress. Cue a mysterious killer armed with a golden violin with a retractable blade and copious amounts of smoke and Suspiria's color scheme.

I kinda' liked this one. It has a pretty easy to follow plot until the mid way point where it seemed like Cozzi made a bet with Dario that he could recreate Suspiria colors with a fraction of the budget. And he did. But for what ultimate purpose? No idea. This film goes off the deep end towards the end and you can't be sure if it's trying to be dream-like or it's just a mess. I'm leaning towards the later.

Has some decent gore, Donald Pleasence collects a paycheck, Daria Nicolodi is kind of just there so don't expect a commanding lead performance from her. At the very least it's unique but I use the word unique more in a "What in the fuck is going on?" Kind of way. I'd honestly recommend it especially as it's one of the last oldschool Italo horror films along with other prestigious titles such as Ratman, Spider Labyrinth, and Nosferatu in Venice.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 01-15-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

It's been a long time since I've seen this one but I remember it being good fun. I should really revisit it, I guess.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

I enjoyed this one as well, and even moreso the special edition DVD. I think there's a couple versions, but they all have the same extras... Apparently, Cozzi wanted this to be more of a sci-fi flick, and the producers made him reign it in to a more traditional horror film. So the deleted scenes are... extra weird.

Well, that would go a ways in explaining the ending.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

The score from Vince Tempera needs to be released, if only for that shameless Bon Jovi rip off song in the beginning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_77QJIgt4Nk